M50 swap VANOS vs non-VANOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 swap VANOS vs non-VANOS

I'm forseeing a swap in the future for my tired m20..., I figure once I pull it out and rebuild it (I'll be swaping auto to 5 speed at the same time), I might as well make a challenge out of it and swap in something different...but affordable (i.s. not s50)....thus m50 maybe the eway to go, Have a line on a tired old non-VANOS for rebuild etc, or a VANOS....now I've been reading for like 2 hours, put my time in searching the posts....can't find a really comprehensive discussion of the pros and cons etc of the VANOS vs non-VANOS M50...any thoughts????

Thanks

Well, if vanos ever decides to take a dump, it'll cost you $$$$$$. Non-vanos will accept hotter cams, so if you're looking at Schricks or whatever, that'd be one thing to consider. Speed-wise they're almost identical; my ex-non-vanos was neck/neck with my buddy's vanos M50.

Comment

Originally posted by permit
      Well, if vanos ever decides to take a dump, it'll cost you $$$$$$. Non-vanos will accept hotter cams, so if you're looking at Schricks or whatever, that'd be one thing to consider. Speed-wise they're almost identical; my ex-non-vanos was neck/neck with my buddy's vanos M50.
      You are right about the similar power. The main difference is the m50tu (VANOS) has a flatter torque curve.

But don't worry about the VANOS unit going out, it is not that complex of a component. I have, correct me if I am wrong, never heard of them breaking.

If you are rebuilding the engine on your own (go for it!) I would get the non Vanos just for sake of ease. You don't necessarily need the rather expensive special VANOS locking tool to work on the vanos engine, but it is something that you wont have to worry about with the non vanos engine.

Other than that I cannot think of any other pros and cons.

Oh, the coil packs that came in the non-Vanos enignes were weak and will most likely need to be replaced.

Comment

can't find a really comprehensive discussion of the pros and cons etc of the VANOS vs non-VANOS M50...
        searching located this thread

HTH
        new RS-2s are stick icky good. w00t.

Comment

using the search tool....there's a concept....thanks for the link to the thread..........lots to absorb there. It's a good point about the simplicity of the non VANOS, it would be my first total engine rebuild, and I plan to take my time and do the research, maybe swap Cams and other upgrades as I learn ,...I basically want something I can pick away at
          and modify a bit, so looking for a good base engine to start with is the point now.... ....my e30's a bit of a clean slate right now...doing body work and then total suspension rebuild and upgrades, urethane bushings etc...this winter.....get a motor to dick around with this summer...then when I park it next winter...do the swap......

Comment

A few more of my hairs just fell out.; )
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Working...
            X