Engine Swap question - LHD to RHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Swap question - LHD to RHD

Hey everyone , has anyone done a swap M52B28 from a US LHD car into a Euro RHD model ? Will there be any significant modification due to the steering being on different sides?
    I have asked this question on the UK forums , but just want to see if anyone can add to it or has done the swap before.
    From my own thinking , maybe the headers would have to be different and possible loom modification. Anything else i am looking at?

I put an m50tu from a left hand drive car into my right hand drive car. You need to modify the exhaust manifolds to clear the steering guibo for the rear manifold and the steering rack for the front.

What I did for the rear manifold was cut the flange off of the tubes, shorten the tubes where they meet the flange and then reweld. This allowed the header to wrap closer to the engine block. I still have very little clearance to the steering guibo.
    For the front I simply cut the tube after they merge, sectioned an inch or so out and rewelded it. I had a full custom exhaust built to mate everything up. I also used the tubular steel manifolds/headers from an m52 as the OBD1 m50 ones are cast steel and would not take to being cut and welded.
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
      I put an m50tu from a left hand drive car into my right hand drive car. You need to modify the exhaust manifolds to clear the steering guibo for the rear manifold and the steering rack for the front.

What I did for the rear manifold was cut the flange off of the tubes, shorten the tubes where they meet the flange and then reweld. This allowed the header to wrap closer to the engine block. I still have very little clearance to the steering guibo.
      For the front I simply cut the tube after they merge, sectioned an inch or so out and rewelded it. I had a full custom exhaust built to mate everything up. I also used the tubular steel manifolds/headers from an m52 as the OBD1 m50 ones are cast steel and would not take to being cut and welded.
      Doesnt sound too complicated, i would have to modify the front section anyway , thanks for the advice on the rear too . What about the loom / ECU .. did you have to mount the ECU differently or were you able to connect everything in the same position ?

Comment

Nope, just use the 318 DME mount brackets. It mounts behind the drivers knee bolster.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
        X