Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better engine mounts than E28s? Getting some vibe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better engine mounts than E28s? Getting some vibe.

Hi all -

Having just replaced the engine mounts in my '95 525i with stock, new mounts the silence and smoothness is amazing. However, the E30 24v swap has E28 mounts and while it works and all, its a little annoying in the vibration department. If I bring the revs to like 800 - 900 it's not so bad, but with the headlights on at night its just a little more rumble than I like in a car that I want to be "stock" feeling.

Any way to make it less race car and more cruiser like? I can live with it, but it's one of those things I would like to fix if possible. Driving is fine, its idling especially with a load on the motor like headlights or defrost, or blower high... it pulls the revs down a little and is semi annoying.

Are they touching anything?

I have the same mounts and I grinded and machined things to clear.

It's a painfull process to mock up so much and then still have stuff rub when you get it all bolted down. I am ripping my S52 out now because the bank 1 O2 was not moved far enough forward on the headers and is hitting the firewall under torque.

Also I grinded off about a .5 mm off the side of my drivers side mount to get it off the frame rail. Make sure yours isnt touching.

I like my fillings in mah teeth, and my swap car drives like it's stock, well minus the tickity tick tick.
    Originally posted by 325Projectz
    don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
    :nice:

Comment

I didn't have an issue with E28 mounts and vibrations at all. Any pix of how your mounts look?

Comment

What transmission mounts are you using?

Comment

Check the booster/IM clearance. That causes alot of chassis vibes as well as the oil pan hitting the steering rack if you have an E36 one.

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Agreed, you are getting interference somewhere, mine got allot better when I used fender washers to shim the mount on the passenger side but I still have some issues I need to find when it gets warmer.

You are just going to need to get the front end up on stands and just go front/back and side to side from the top and the bottom and look at anything within 1/4" of the motor and address them all.
            '91 318is, S50 swap, Bilsteing/H&R race, Recaro SRD, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X