Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebay headers hitting subframe? Try this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay headers hitting subframe? Try this!

First off, don't buy ebay long tube headers, the fitment sucks! It took me hours & hours to get them to fit right. But here was my problem and a solution for others.

My front header was hitting the subframe big time and I didn't realize this until I had everything bolted up (took 4 hours to do that). I couldn't use spacers to raise the motor mount because the rear header was mashed up against the underside of the car even though I beat on the car with a BFH. I figured I had to bend the headers, but did not want to go through the pain to remove them and then reinstall. So I decided to do this:

I used a block of wood and a floor jack to lift on the header right behind the sway bar. I am trying to bend it upward off of the subframe. Time to test those Chinese welds

This took some serious weight off of the front of the car. I lifted it as much as I could until the end was hitting the bottom of the car. The front of the car came up about 3-4 inches in the process.

Once it was up all the way, I used a propane torch to heat the header and try and relieve some pressure/strain. You can see the discolored part where I heated them cherry-red.

I wasn't worried about the discoloration since I hear these things discolor after like 20 minutes of driving. I could also hear the suspension creek every now and then as it settled a little, I assume that was a result of the header bending upward like I wanted.

I released the jack and I was left with about 3mm's of clearance between the header and the subframe! Start to finish took about 20 minutes. Hard to see the clearance, but its there:

I am actually surprised this worked and I did not break anything.

Could you do it with the car running so the whole thing is getting fairly evenly heated and therefore may bend easier and be less likely to crack? Maybe use a torch on them too if necessary.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
      Could you do it with the car running so the whole thing is getting fairly evenly heated and therefore may bend easier and be less likely to crack? Maybe use a torch on them too if necessary.
      I am sure you could, and that's not a bad idea. I rebuilt my engine and have yet to do a break-in, so running it was not really an option. You would just need to make sure it does not get too hot where it is pushed up against the bottom of the car.

Comment

so you lifted the entire weight of the front of the car by the exhaust studs?

Comment

Originally posted by frankie591 View Post
          On an aluminum head.

But hey, his shit fits now !
          ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Originally posted by frankie591 View Post
            NO! Not entire weight, enough to unload the suspension a few inches. Was it my best idea, no. Did it work? So far yes.

Originally posted by Scallywagon View Post
            On an aluminum head.

The front lift point on the engine is bolted to the aluminum head in 2 places. I figure 12 smaller studs should do the same job alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Boise View Post
              NO! Not entire weight, enough to unload the suspension a few inches. Was it my best idea, no. Did it work? So far yes.

The front lift point on the engine is bolted to the aluminum head in 2 places. I figure 12 smaller studs should do the same job alright.
              24 studs :p

Comment

by ebay headers, do you mean racelands? I was planning to purchase a set myself since I heard they fixed the majority of fitment issues.

Mind you I have 25mm front sways so I may have problems...
                320I - under construction

Comment

Originally posted by Scallywagon View Post
                  On an aluminum head.

Originally posted by Boise View Post

So what is to stop this from settling back in place after the system heat cycles naturally and gravity does it's thing for a few thousand miles?

Then what? rinse and repeat? :tsk:
                  Originally posted by 325Projectz
                  don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                  :nice:

Comment

Nice job OP. Any reason you went with Ebay headers over lets say Raceland headers? I was looking at the Raceland ones today and they go for 200 which doesnt seem like very much.

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
                      24 studs :p
                      12 studs, its only attached to the front 3 cylinders. I left the rear alone.

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post

So what is to stop this from settling back in place after the system heat cycles naturally and gravity does it's thing for a few thousand miles?

Then what? rinse and repeat? :tsk:
                      I don't think it will settle, but time will tell.

Originally posted by S62 View Post
                      Nice job OP. Any reason you went with Ebay headers over lets say Raceland headers? I was looking at the Raceland ones today and they go for 200 which doesnt seem like very much.
                      I'm not real familiar with the racelands. If they fit without the pain I went through I would have happely spent and extra $100 over the ebay ones.

Comment

I got the racing dynamics headers (ebay) and the fitment is good. I had a machine shop flatten the flanges as the were slightly warped inward, but no drilling involved. I'll probably need to massage some of the heat shield in the trans tunnel, but it definitely clears the subframe and the sway bar. And these are 2" in and out, so fatty headers.

Comment

raceland headers fit like shit. mine were hitting the subframe, sway bar and control arm bushing.

Comment

nothing wrong with a hammer's persuasion guys
                            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                            Got Drop?? ;-)
                            Originally posted by JinormusJ
                            But of course
                            E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Working...
                            X