Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M50 swap Q's... I did read the billion page thread at the top!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 swap Q's... I did read the billion page thread at the top!!

I really want to do the swap as it looks fairly easy, as in no fabrication needed. So here is my question. I think i want to do a non vanos m50 with m3 cam profiles(not m3 cams but the same profiles). What should i do to freshen up the motor before i put it in. I know i should do the aluminum thermastat housing and new gaskets on intake manifold and what not, but is there anything sles i should consider doin while the motor is out and easy to work on?? also whan i swap the cams out do i have to break them in? I would assume so but im not too sure. And last but not least do you think i should stay with the 240 tranny? I would assume it would hold up fine with around 200 rwhp but i dont know.

you can use the 240 but it won't be as strong as a 260
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

i was always under the impression the 240 does not work with m50s.
      sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

Someone around here said that they used the 240.
        91 m3

Comment

yeah they work
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

i say just ask around the comunity to find a dirt cheap 260, you know it will work and even if the 240 works it cant work as well for as long.
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

I would recomend doing the thermostat, H20 pump, Aluminum housing for t-stat. Replace all gaskets, oil pan gasket, loc tight the oil pump nut/bolt.
              When I say all gaskets I mean, valve cover, intake mani, oil pan.
              could be a few others. Possibly do the rear main seal while the engine is out.

Good oppurtunity to have the valve cover bead blasted and re-painted.
              I am using a trans out of a E36 325I. 260?

Replace all bushings on the trans shift linkage while you have it out.
              Paint the trans and clean everything well.
              Take your time!!

Comment

Originally posted by KangamangusDriver
                I would recomend doing the thermostat, H20 pump, Aluminum housing for t-stat. Replace all gaskets, oil pan gasket, loc tight the oil pump nut/bolt.
                When I say all gaskets I mean, valve cover, intake mani, oil pan.
                could be a few others. Possibly do the rear main seal while the engine is out.

Good oppurtunity to have the valve cover bead blasted and re-painted.
                I am using a trans out of a E36 325I. 260?

Replace all bushings on the trans shift linkage while you have it out.
                Paint the trans and clean everything well.
                Take your time!!
                Thanks. Most of those things were items i planned on replacing but i was just checkin if there was anything else. so i should probably just use a 260 tranny also?? i know the 240 works but i suppose it would be nice to have a little stronger of a trans off the bat.

Comment

you might as well just get the 260 now while you are messing w/ that stuff

Comment

Once I started planning out the steps in the swap, I realized there is a lot of work to do before you drop it in. I plan on taking a few months prepping and maybe a couple weekends dropping it in.

Comment

Originally posted by 65Matt
                      Once I started planning out the steps in the swap, I realized there is a lot of work to do before you drop it in. I plan on taking a few months prepping and maybe a couple weekends dropping it in.
                      Thats what i wanna do. I hope to start buying parts soon and once i have everything, ill start on a fri and hopfully be done on mon. I think if everything thing is prepped and ready to drop in, 4 days should be sufficient to finish it.

Comment

Working...
                      X