DIY: Shifter carrier w/ G260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Shifter carrier w/ G260

I wanted to have the shifter centered and I've used this e30performance write up as a guide:

No hating, but it just seems too slopy to do it this way:

So after cutting the shifter carrier and grinding it down to fit the 3/8" square steel tubing (from home depot) I've realized that all I had to do was flip the front half of the carrier and I'd be home free.

And there you have it boys and girls. It's so easy a cave man could do it.

I had to tweak it a little bit so that everything fits perfectly. But now my shifter is centered and no interference. I'm happy.

Here's my build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280764
    You can see the shifter carrier before I modified it. Also using a stock e30 airbox.

Not bad. Better. I can't even believe that the first picture was even real.

Why didn't you just get a piece of aluminum and weld it? It's much more reliable than anything and really doesn't cost much to have a local shop tig the pieces together.
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Any more pics of how you modified the stock airbox??? I was thinking about using fiberglass but it looks like you used sheet metal and caulking. I need a DIY for that!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
        Not bad. Better. I can't even believe that the first picture was even real.

Why didn't you just get a piece of aluminum and weld it? It's much more reliable than anything and really doesn't cost much to have a local shop tig the pieces together.
        I'm broke at the moment. Lol. The e30 took all my money away...

But seriously I didn't consider it because I was at a point of getting shit done and waiting on a shop would mean down time.

Plus, you still have to bend it a little to get it right, that means you'd have to fix it somehow in the proper position to be welded, that would require some more pondering at the subject...

I'd like to do the same thing with the selector rod, rotate half of it 180 degrees, so that it's perfectly inline, but it would be a bit of an effort to figure out a way to fix it in that position to get it welded.

Comment

Originally posted by Boise View Post
          Any more pics of how you modified the stock airbox??? I was thinking about using fiberglass but it looks like you used sheet metal and caulking. I need a DIY for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Boise View Post
            I just used aluminum sheet metal, and bent it to the shape.

I've ground down the inside of the box so that the aluminum is actually held in place by mechanical spring-action force and then I've applied some silicone to make it air tight.

I bought an adapter for the e30 MAF on Ebay and modified it to connect the e36 MAF via silicone tubing. But I later saw a plastic adapter that would work at Advanced Auto and it was only $6.

Other than that just figure it out, it wasn't that hard. Just go at it and figure shit out as you go.

Comment

I put my shift carrier in a bench vise, grabbed a wrench and twisted it 15 degrees. Did the same thing to my DSSR and my shifter is perfectly centered and upright. Cost nothing and took 5 minutes.

Good work, just seems unnecessary

Edit: Sorry, just read through your build thread. Weird that your shifter sat so far off using G260 and stock linkages. Good solution.
              Last edited by Dissembler; 04-20-2013, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Dude this has saved me. I'v been pulling my hair out for a day trying to figure out why it isn't aligning properly.

Comment

Working...
                X