X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last few things to get my car started

Where do these ground wires connect to?

Am I correct with my starter wires?

The wire on the right is a power wire. Does it need to be spliced to the fuse box or connect to the starter?

Also the alternator only has one wire coming from it going to the starter which is the middle wire. Is that correct?

Thanks.
    Last edited by M///BMW; 08-15-2013, 12:30 AM.

the way I wired my car, the power wire shared the same lug as the alternator wire. There are also two little wires that go to the alternator besides the thick one from the starter, they should have a little triangular shaped rubber cover on the harness. As for the two smaller wires on the starter, they are fairly hard to screw up; the smaller one goes on the smaller lug, and the larger one goes to the larger lug. For the red power wire going to the starter, I just ripped out the power wire from the e36 harness and used the e30 one instead. My car starts up just fine, hopefully that was helpful

1988 BMW 325 - S50B30US
    Instagram "Build Thread" - http://instagram.com/jfchiu

Comment

blue one to alternator for dash light.

black yellow, is starter run
      black green is signal to the ecu that starter is running.

Comment

Thank you for explaining what they are. My question is where do they connect to? Do they connect to the starter?

Comment

You can remove the third red wire you have there with the ring terminal. The e36 fuse box recieves 12v from that but the e30's is powered differently. All that's gonna do is take up space and make it harder to stuff your harness in the m3 harness covers if you're using them.

For the other 3 wires, the blue goes to the small terminal on the alternator. The black and yellow goes on the small terminal on the starter. The black and green wire is for your unloader relays. It looks like you only have a 2 pole starter like I did so there's no place for that wire as it was meant for a 3 pole. I grounded that wire.
          1987 325is - S52

Comment

Originally posted by NickL View Post
            You can remove the third red wire you have there with the ring terminal. The e36 fuse box recieves 12v from that but the e30's is powered differently. All that's gonna do is take up space and make it harder to stuff your harness in the m3 harness covers if you're using them.

For the other 3 wires, the blue goes to the small terminal on the alternator. The black and yellow goes on the small terminal on the starter. The black and green wire is for your unloader relays. It looks like you only have a 2 pole starter like I did so there's no place for that wire as it was meant for a 3 pole. I grounded that wire.
            Thanks so much. That is exactly what I needed.

Comment

Tried starting the car tonight. Turned to crank and the starter just spun. Any ideas to what I could have missed?

Comment

Working...
              X