Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked pan

Dear R3v,

Just smoked my pan on the road in my 24v swap. Just a quick question, do you need to remove the engine to change out pans?

Thanks

this could be an option. check out the r3v facebook page and message David Curci.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

Trying to gauge interest on these. We are currently working on an m20 clearance pan as well. This pan will gain you about an inch of clearance while retaining the factory capacity. Anyone interested in bottoming out on your rack/subframe instead of the oil pan?
      Like ·
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deadskittles View Post
        Dear R3v,

Just smoked my pan on the road in my 24v swap. Just a quick question, do you need to remove the engine to change out pans?

Thanks
        no, you can either raise the engine via hoist or use it to support the engine and drop the subframe. Sorry to hear about your pan though, that's a pretty shitty thing to have happen

1988 BMW 325 - S50B30US
        Instagram "Build Thread" - http://instagram.com/jfchiu

Comment

Yeah. Luckily we caught it before it toasted the engine. The bad part was that the car is over an hour away from home base. Thankfully I have awesome friends and the car should be coming home today.

Comment

Originally posted by meengreene30 View Post
            Trying to gauge interest on these. We are currently working on an m20 clearance pan as well. This pan will gain you about an inch of clearance while retaining the factory capacity. Anyone interested in bottoming out on your rack/subframe instead of the oil pan?
            Like ·
            Im interested

Comment

If you have the G260 trans you need to pull the engine/trans to get at the last 2 oil pan bolts. If you have a ZF you should be fine.
              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
              1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
              1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
              1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

The easiest way I have found is just to drop the subframe with the control arms still attached. I then had an engine hoist holding the engine up. Along with jackstands under the motor mount arms just in case. The job sucks, but I would highly advise in a shortened oil pan with a 24v motor.

Comment

Got the motor out yesterday and popped the pan off.
                  The fun out of all of this is that the m50tu got traded for an s52 that burnt about a quart of oil per hour, kid never looked into why it was burning just pulled it out and wanted it gone. Found a few nice things when we opened up the s52.....
                  I suppose I should note that I am a friend of skittles lol, grew up with the guy!

Shrick 256/264 cams, ported and polished head with 1mm oversized valves, and some sort of CNC'd pistons that appear to be higher compression.
                  Pretty awesome to find this thing loaded with goodies.

Comment

wow. good find!
                    My Build Thread

My Transaction Feedback

Comment

no need to remove engine, tranny.. just lower the subframe and you are good to go. this is what i did (what you have to if you have getrag260):

1" holesaw

have a great day.

Comment

Working...
                      X