Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade of E30 w/ Existing M50 Swap to S50 / S52 - Easy as it seems… or Not…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Folks,

Have an E30 with M50 swap. Everything works as it should, mechanically and electrically. Obviously a correctly done conversion.

Due to the radiator cap failing to seal, and a flaky temp gauge it overheated and cooked the engine. The car has a well sorted out suspension, handles great IMO, is really fun to track and makes a great HPDE car for instructing. Have put a lot of work sorting out some things the PO had neglected, and finally got it right, just in time to have it go south. Bottom line I want to resurrect it.

Obvious first choice, easiest and least expensive, would be obtaining a replacement M50 long block or complete engine. QED

I'd previously toyed with the idea of replacing the M50 with the much preferred S50 or S52 but aside from the cost I was under the impression little of the existing stuff for the M50 conversion would be useable hence yet more expense and a whole lot of extra work and hassle.

Having come time to do something about it I took another look into trying an upgrade to an S5x. Have spent a good deal of time reviewing several articles and sources on the subject of M5x / S5x to E30 swaps including the numerous threads on this site.

If I'm correctly understanding these sources, it appears that all the bits and pieces which are present for the existing M50 conversion are the same ones needed for a S50, or even a S52, conversion, to include the electronics, which I had a hard time believing at first but appear to be the case.

If true, then all I need is an S5x long block. Swap the lunched M50 long block out with an S5x long block and with a few possible minor sensor connections being different, hook it up with what's there and go.

The following links are the main sources I've reviewed to arrive at the above conclusions:To sum up, this info suggests that it takes the same basic parts to make the E30 engine swap regardless of whether one is going with a M5x or an S5x, with perhaps a few, if any, minor differences, mostly related to doing an OBD II to OBD I conversion. Which if I read that part right is the same as needed with a straight up M5x swap. Which my existing setup has to start with.

What am I missing here? Would like a confirmation of my conclusions… or disabusing me of the thought that something could be so easy. Preferably from someone intimately familiar with this specific subject.

TIA,
    IMSA RS 69
    'ol corps rac'r
    Rac'n Class of '69
    Car #69

Co-Designer, Co-Builder, Co-Driver of

First Ever IMSA All American GT Rac'r... 'The Vegrant'

sigpic

John Bishop's answer to European domination of Big Time American Road Rac'n

Out of Pocket Cost - $5K

Look on John Bishop and Charlie Rainville's face when it pulled into Daytona Speedway's paddock for it's debut at the '74 IMSA GT Thanksgiving Finale... Not exactly the $200K tube-frame 'space car' they was expecting... - Priceless!

do it

Comment

^This

All you need is the long block of the M/S5X of your choice.

Comment

The only caveat is that if you have a Getrag 250, it needs to be replaced as well. It WILL fail. If you've got the stock E30 transmission, you're good. Swap out the long block, change the chip, go.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Did it in a weekend. You got it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
            The only caveat is that if you have a Getrag 250, it needs to be replaced as well. It WILL fail. If you've got the stock E30 transmission, you're good.
            Have 260. And a spare.

Plus free towing courtesy of AAA from track to front door when running our 'local' venue VIR... ';)

Swap out the long block, change the chip, go.
            Which chip? This was an area I'd previously assumed would be different, but everything I've recently reviewed implied, at least to me, that it was the same regardless whether one used an M5x or an S5x.

You do understand I'm upgrading an existing M50 swap with an S5x, most likely S50, not replacing the original 325 engine.

If you haven't misunderstood my situation then it's the first reference I've seen regarding needing a different chip / electronics for an S50 than is presently existing with the M50 conversion.

Have 'Red label ECU with Turner chip'. Which is noted in most references as compatible with either M5x or S5x, best I can tell.

Please clear this up for me.

TIA...
            IMSA RS 69
            'ol corps rac'r
            Rac'n Class of '69
            Car #69

sigpic

Out of Pocket Cost - $5K

Look on John Bishop and Charlie Rainville's face when it pulled into Daytona Speedway's paddock for it's debut at the '74 IMSA GT Thanksgiving Finale... Not exactly the $200K tube-frame 'space car' they was expecting... - Priceless!

Comment

Thanks for all you Folks who've responded...

And sure hope you're right, notwithstanding the greater PTBs above love to mess with me and concoct the most horrid and nefarious schemes to thwart my every move... ones never before seen by man... and I'm not kidding, not one bit.
              IMSA RS 69
              'ol corps rac'r
              Rac'n Class of '69
              Car #69

sigpic

Out of Pocket Cost - $5K

Comment

I did this exact procedure in 8 hours. Best decision of my life thus far.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                  I did this exact procedure in 8 hours. Best decision of my life thus far.
                  Any caveats at all?

Say with sensors on the M50 vs what's on the S50? Different connector styles, etc?

Presently have a pretty firm arrangement for an S50 long block from '95 M3. Seller says top end, cams, valves, etc. are clean and in great shape. If bottom end checks out as well it'll be as good as I could hope for. Reasonably close by and he's talking a very generous deal, which definitely means a lot to an OF who's dependent on a meager SS sponsorship... ';)

Thanks for the encouragement...
                  IMSA RS 69
                  'ol corps rac'r
                  Rac'n Class of '69
                  Car #69

sigpic

Out of Pocket Cost - $5K

Comment

I did my swap a while back so I'm only about 99% sure that all you need to do is:
                    - swap the gauge coolant temp sensor to a e30 one so the gauge on the dash stays accurate (e36 one has different resistance)
                    - swap the chip in your ECU from the m50 tune to a s50 tune
                    - be very happy because your car has been reborn

To go from m50 to s50 is just as easy as swapping in another m50 except you need to change the chip also but the end result will be day and night! You will not regret it I promise!

Comment

Working...
                    X