S52 Piston Ring Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 Piston Ring Help

Hi rev I am rebuilding my s52 and I am thinking about replacing the piston rings standard size and I read people used Hastings, but when I called them they had problems looking up the rings. If any of you have any info on the part number it would really help. Thank you
    sigpic

1989 325i Sold
    2001 325i Sold
    2005 Infiniti G35 Sold
    1991 318is Rip
    2005 Subaru Sti Sold
    2009 Honda Civic SI Sold
    2009 Honda Civic Si Sold
    2003 Saab 9-5 Sold
    1991 325ic MTech2 S52 Current

i believe you need the .016 over sized 2C5239. i would verify with hastings though. check the link below.

i tried calling hastings when i was in the market for s52 piston rings; however, they weren't able to answer the questions i had enough to instill any confidence in me. i've read good reviews about their rings on other forums though.

total seal could take care of you as well; if you know what you are talking about. if you get the guy eddie he'll try to talk down at you until he realizes you know a thing or two. basically, you give them the specs of all your rings and they put a kit together for you. they also cost nearly twice as much as hastings.

i went with grant because their customer service, willingness to research and answer my questions. i believe the tech's name is Sergio. they cost about the same as hastings.

IMO, you can't go wrong with any of the three i've mentioned and i'm sure there are more. but don't take my word for it; do some more homework to help you make an informed decision.

Comment

anyone ever heard of http://www.deves.com/ my dad swears by them
      my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

Yes I read other forums that hastings had trouble getting them as well, it seems like this problem has happened multiple times maybe they should remember it for future reference. I wanted to go with hastings because I heard they were great and also that they were around 90. Ya I was looking into grant but the price difference was twice. Were these the ones you were talking about? Most likely I will just go with grant
        sigpic

1989 325i Sold
        2001 325i Sold
        2005 Infiniti G35 Sold
        1991 318is Rip
        2005 Subaru Sti Sold
        2009 Honda Civic SI Sold
        2009 Honda Civic Si Sold
        2003 Saab 9-5 Sold

Comment

i just called up and purchased the rings from grant directly. i believe they were about 140 shipped. one of the main reasons why i went with grant other than the ones i stated earlier was because they were able to confirm that their compression ring for the s52 application was made of steel.

Comment

Sounds good you have been very helpful I will give them a call soon
            sigpic

1989 325i Sold
            2001 325i Sold
            2005 Infiniti G35 Sold
            1991 318is Rip
            2005 Subaru Sti Sold
            2009 Honda Civic SI Sold
            2009 Honda Civic Si Sold
            2003 Saab 9-5 Sold