Comprehensive brake booster thread for S5x and M5x swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comprehensive brake booster thread for S5x and M5x swaps

I've seen some conflicting information on brake boosters, and the FAQ's seem to be outdated. Is there a thread or resource with info on all the booster options? If not, can we start one here?

There seems to be some confusion in past threads over which year cars these boosters can come out of. I'd like to make a list of every booster that's compatible with the swaps, and boosters from similar cars that are NOT compatible.

If you have done a swap, list the booster that you used. Please cut and paste with the following info:

-Year and model of your E30: (Fill in)
    -Intake manifold used in swap: (Fill in)
    -Brake booster donor car: Year and model
    -Brake booster part number: (if known)
    -Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks: (if known)
    -Parts needed: Be specific about what MC and reservoir you used, or any other parts
    -Modifications needed: Any mods that needed to be performed, such as shortening the shaft and re-threading, any welding, or firewall modifications.
    -Comments on pedal feel and stopping power: Compared to stock, or compared with other boosters if you have that experience.
    -Other info: Booster diameter or other dimensions. Any other helpful info.

Below, I will keep a text list and update it as info comes in. It's pretty bare right now, as I want all the info here to be confirmed before adding any. I will also keep a spreadsheet, and once it has a reasonable amount of info, i'll throw it up on google docs or something for easy download.

I'd like to try and keep this referenced by part number whenever possible.

Text list of compatible boosters, by application:

E30 325ix
    Part number: 34331161486
    Source cars: '88, '89, '90, '91 E30 325ix coupe or sedan
    Parts needed: 325ix Booster, Reservoir, Master.
    Modifications needed: Remove spacer, Cut about 1” off the rod, grind/rethread rod, elongate file firewall holes to fit booster studs, bend brake lines to fit master, file fins on intake manifold.
    Comments on functionality:
    Other info: I was led to believe the iX booster fit with the spacer, but after looking at another car, I can't see how that's possible when the master hits the intake boot without the spacer. (Nothern)

E32 735i or 735iL
    Part number: BMW 34331161486, Cardone 53-2934
    Source cars: '88, '89, '90 E32 735i or 735iL
    Parts needed:
    Modifications needed:

1990 VW Jetta
    Part number: (not known)
    Source cars: 1990 VW Jetta 8 valve, and 1996-1999 (likely other years or models, but not confirmed)
    Parts needed: None. Stock E30 master cylinder bolts to the VW booster.
    Modifications needed: Need to add a piece of rod between the master piston and booster. Cut the rod to the pedal and thread it. (meanEG)
    Comments on functionality: Comments on pedal feel and stopping power: I have not driven it extensively, but it stops great. (meanEG)
    Other info: Diameter: approx 10” at firewall and 8 7/8” at engine bay side.

1996 to 1999 VW Jetta
    Part number: W01331598294ATE (Stock VW, ATE brand)
    Source cars: 1996-1999 (likely other years or models, but not confirmed)
    Modifications needed: Rod must be cut to size then rethreaded or to me it was more easy to just cut it and weld on the E30 adjustable end to it. Had to mod the rod that pushes master cylinder, I had to extend it, welded 7mm rod so that is at same height as E30. Plastic clip that holds the brake line behind the booster had to be trimmed down. (desertBMW)
    Other info: Diameter:

Porsche 944
    Source cars: 1984 Porsche 994 turbo, other years not confirmed
    Modifications needed: Shaft needs to be threaded all the way down. Threads are the same pitch as the OEM clevis (NickL)
    Comments on functionality: Feels stock. Tight fit with OBDI manifold (2 to 3 mm with fins shaved) (mpowerful).
    Other info:

Renaut Clio
    Source cars: 2001 Plastic winged Clio (likely other years or models, but not confirmed)
    Parts needed: Stock E30 master cylinder bolts to the booster.
    Modifications needed: Need to add a piece of rod between the master piston and booster. Drill factory clevis slightly bigger (Jib05)
    Comments on functionality: no expert on brakes but to me they feel much better than factory. Pedal doesn't sink as far any more (Jib05)
    Other info: Tiny booster with heaps of clearance

Here are the part numbers I pulled from Real OEM that are known to be compatible, and part numbers from cars that are similar to the ones with known compatible boosters.

-Nick
    sigpic
    1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

-Year and model of your E30: 1987 es
    -Intake manifold used in swap: m50
    -Brake booster donor car: 1990 VW Jetta 8 valve
    -Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks: A1 Cardone reman 535730
    -Parts needed: no parts needed, stock master cylinder bolts on
    -Modifications needed: I had to add a piece of rod between the master piston and booster. No big deal. I had cut the rod to the pedal and thread. It is the correct diameter already.
    -Comments on pedal feel and stopping power: I have not driven it extensively, but it stops great.

My comments are: to me there are no other reasons to get any other booster. This things bolts on the stock holes, master bolts on great. I had my fins sanded off, but I don't think it had to be done. Best part, you can get a reman for $83 at autozone, and its a local warehouse stocking item.

Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by meanEG View Post
      -Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks: A1 Cardone reman
      -Modifications needed: I had to add a piece of rod between the master piston and booster. No big deal. I had cut the rod to the pedal and thread. It is the correct diameter already.
      -Comments on pedal feel and stopping power: I have not driven it extensively, but it stops great.

My comments are: to me there are no other reasons to get any other booster. This things bolts on the stock holes, master bolts on great. I had my fins sanded off, but I don't think it had to be done.
      Sweet. Thanks for the info. If you can confirm any other years or models that booster is in, i'll add them in.
      -Nick
      sigpic
      1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

Comment

-Year and model of your E30: 1993 Touring
        -Intake manifold used in swap: M52TU
        -Brake booster donor car: Stock '93
        -Brake booster part number: 34331157416 (According to bmwfans.org)
        -Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks: ATE
        -Modifications needed: You might want to rotate the engine away from the booster, as mine is almost touching it with Condor motor mounts.

I found that the iX/M5/735i(?) (I tried with an M5 booster/master) booster wouldn't fit with the M52TU intake manifold at all, and I'd presume it's much the same with an M54.

'93 Daytonaviolett Touring Design Edition

Comment

-Year and model of your E30: 1987 320i
          -Brake booster donor car: 2001 plastic winged clio
          -Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks:
          -Parts needed: , stock master cylinder bolts on
          -Modifications needed: I had to add a piece of rod between the master piston and booster. Drill factory clevis slightly bigger.
          -Comments on pedal feel and stopping power: no expert on brakes but to me they feel much better than factory. Pedal doesn't sink as far any more

My comments : tiny booster heaps of clearance, and at 70 nzd a bargain. Edit: right hand drive
          .................................................. ...................sigpic
          .................................................. ............................. ......M50B25 3.1L stroker

Comment

1987 325is.
            M50 obd1
            Porsche 944 booster
            Stock e30 master
            Shaft needs threaded all the way down, threads are same pitch as oem clevis
            Felt same as stock.

New setup:
            1987 325is
            M50 Obd1
            Massive booster delete
            E21 master cylinder, pedal assembly must be removed and modified, new brake lines flared and ran to fronts.
            Pedal feel is actually close to the factory setup, a bit stiffer but not terrible. Braking power has suffered a small amount from factory calipers. Once upgraded, everything should be fine. I also plan to plumb a bias valve in line.
            1987 325is - S52

Comment

any other thoughts on this?

Originally posted by meanEG View Post
              -Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks: A1 Cardone reman 535730

My comments are: to me there are no other reasons to get any other booster. This things bolts on the stock holes, master bolts on great. I had my fins sanded off, but I don't think it had to be done. Best part, you can get a reman for $83 at autozone, and its a local warehouse stocking item.

my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

[QUOTE=NickL;4112785]1987 325is.
                M50 obd1
                Porsche 944 booster
                Stock e30 master
                Shaft needs threaded all the way down, threads are same pitch as oem clevis
                Felt same as stock.

Did you use the n/a model or turbo model 944 booster?

And does anyone have a booster setup for the s5x motors?

This is really awesome btw thumbs up
                Onwer of
                1987 e30 325e soon to be s50
                1991 e30 318i four door
                1994 e34 530i 5speed
                05 e53 X5 4.4i fully loaded

Comment

I have the porsche booster. It is the ate version. It came off a 1984 944 non-turbo. The ate version has the proper ten mm rod size. Anyway it feels like stock as mentioned. Clearance is damn tight to the obd1 manifold. Prob about 2-3mm with manifold fins shaved and e34 cylinder mounts spaced up with four washers on the drivers side.

Comment

I rarely post about my build, but I figured I would since my setup is quite a bit different than what has been posted so far. I used the stock booster, but everything surrounding it is different so I thought it might be helpful information...

-Year and model of your E30: 87 325es
                    -Brake booster donor car: my stock booster
                    -Brake booster part number: unknown
                    -Brake booster manufacturer and manufacturer PN or identifying marks: unknown...was painted long ago, but I want to say ATE
                    -Parts needed: I deleted ABS, and instead of teeing the lines I decided to run a reman non-ABS master from an early model and run new lines. I'm also running a 5-lug setup with e36 m3 front calipers and 318ti rears. All soft lines replaced with SS braided. Stock residual bias valves were retained.
                    -Modifications needed: I slotted the firewall bolt holes roughly 1/4". No modifications were required as far as the rod, clevis, etc. Manifold was shaved, and driver side motor mount was slightly shimmed for extra insurance, although it might not have been necessary.
                    -Comments on pedal feel and stopping power: Brakes work great, although the pedal feels a little soft.....with so many variables it will probably take me a while to track the problem down, but at least I can say with certainty that the stock booster is fine.
                    Jason

Comment

I used my stock booster, didn't move it or anything. I shaved the fins completely smooth on the manifold, and put a small dent in the booster. I have plenty of clearance. I know many wont agree with me and I'm not recommending it necessarily, but after 4 months of use, I have had 0 negative affects. I was on a tight budget. Stock brakes feel completely normal.
                      91 318is M50 swapped
                      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

So what's wrong with using the good old 2002 or e21 boosters?

And what about the e23, e24, e28 hydro boosters?

Lee
                        Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

I just picked up a IX booster. Some people say it is a strait bolt in but my buddy said he had to shave the rod down a bunch. Anyone use the ix booster?

1990 325I 4-door
                          Euro Spec

Comment

I'm using the booster from a 944 turbo and a 7 series master cylinder. Love the combo. Only modification needed was to thread the rod further down.
                            '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Universal brake booster?

Just wondering if any of the swap guys ever tried to make a universal brake booster work. Most of them are dual diaphragm and 8" or so in diameter. They are all over ebay for $50-75 new. If you search "universal brake booster" they will pop right up. One of the vendors was kind enough to give me all the important dimensions, so I'll get out the micrometer and post my findings..

Comment

Working...
                              X