Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has cruise control with OBDII swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has cruise control with OBDII swaps?

Well I have been trying the find the correct cable to use with an e30 servo and an e36 s52 obdII throttle body. I have now ordered two cables that I cannot return that are not correct. I have pictures and part numbers of each I will post. I am hoping someone here can enlighten me to the one I actually need. Here is the first cable:

It works with the e30 servo but an obdI throttle bey (rigid cable end):
    Part Number is: 65711387004
    Servo (bowden) end:
    Picture #1:

And the rigid obdI end:
    Picture #2:

And then after much research and finding this thread:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

I ordered this cable, part number: 65-71-8-380-077

Here is the nice obdII end:
    Picture #3:

But here is the e36 servo end... the cause of my anger:
    Picture #4:

So I need to find what cable has picture #1 and #3 in the same cable.

WHO HAS THE ANSWER I NEED?

Thanks
    Last edited by Link; 06-18-2014, 12:28 PM.
    View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Bump. So curious.

Comment

How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I have read that thread. That covers OBDI swap cables, with an OBDI throttle body and a e30 servo you simply use cable # 65711387004. I am looking for what cable works with an OBDII throttle body and e30 servo. I have been told you can make the m20 one work, I have one somewhere I will find tomorrow and try.

Comment

BUMP. I looked into the m20 cable as well, not sure Part # but it also does not work with the OBDII throttle body.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Is there enough room to solder/weld/crimp an obd2 end onto the obd1 cable without it interfearing with the cable housing or the end?

Comment

You running obd2 intake manifold?

Check Us out on Facebook
                Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                Full Product Line Tuning
                OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

You do realize that you can use the OBD2 cable on an OBD2 throttle body right?

Both are adjustable and the grommets can be swapped.

Comment

His problem is that the OBD1 cable works with the e30 servo but doesn't work with the OBD2 TB. The OBD2 cable works with the OBD2 TB but doesn't fit the e30 servo.

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
                      His problem is that the OBD1 cable works with the e30 servo but doesn't work with the OBD2 TB. The OBD2 cable works with the OBD2 TB but doesn't fit the e30 servo.
                      Yes it will.. just swap the rubber grommet.

Comment

Bump. I have the same question as the TS. Has there anyone found a solution? Is it possible to combine that OBDI servo end with the OBDII throttle end?

Comment

bump again, i want cruise...
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I am currently working on this for my car and should hopefully know if it works soon. I will post my findings and/or a DIY if I get it to work!
                            -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                            '95 525iT
                            '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                            '98 Disco 1

Comment

So - here's where I'm at - everything is hooked up and would seem to work from what I can tell, but I'm waiting on a left axle for the car. So, no road test yet. Firstly, you'll want this cable - It comes from an M52 OBDII car. For some reason the part number for an S52 cable gives you the one for the earlier OBDI throttle body (ask me how I know).

You will need your old M20 cable, a drill, a cutting device (preferably dremel tool w/ cutoff wheel) and a small clamp. I used a pinch clamp since I'm fancy and tying to keep things looking OE.

Take your dremel and carefully cut the small band clamp on the end of the sleeve for the servo. Try not to damage the new cable, or the sleeve for the e30 servo. This is the e36 servo end, but you get the idea

The e36 servo end is junk - you will need to grind a slot in it to get the new cable out unharmed:

This is the difference between the servo ends of the cables. The e30 cable has a slots fitted in it for the piece on the servo that 'catches' the bullet end of the cable. The e36 version does not:

e36 below

Now, the e30 servo end must be prepped to accept the e36 cable. You will need to enlarge the hole with a drill bit so that the bullet end of the new cable can fit through, but do not make it too big as the sheath for the new cable still needs something to "bottom out" against so it can be clamped. I started with a 3/16" bit and then used a 7/32" where it seemed to be big enough. Go slowly so you don't tear up the inside too badly:

after trying to test-fit the e36 cable, I wound up having to cut a 'relief' slot in the end of the servo portion to get the sheath to fit:

3/8" pinch clamp:

Ready to clamp - i used a bit of teflon grease on the cable itself just to make sure everything moves nicely. I also used a bit on the sheath to try and avoid having it bunch up as i was inserting it into the servo end. You may need to gently twist it from side to side as you're pushing but don't be too aggressive otherwise you could kink the inner metal sheath.

Done!

I routed it around the shock tower, between the fusebox and brake booster. My car is an early model, so the cruise actuator had to be relocated since the coolant tank is occupying the space where it used to be. You can buy the late model bracket from the dealer, it mounts on the old airbox bracket. You'll have to get under the dash and unplug the connector by the pedal box to give yourself some slack. You'll also have to undo some of the wire ties and electrical tape under the dash to "make" the body side of the cruise harness longer so you can reconnect the connector to the actuator. Late model guys probably shouldn't have this issue.

Cruise cable on the bottom, throttle cable on top.

Hopefully i can get this thing back on the road in the next few days. I can wait on the AC a bit longer, but I NEED my cruise! :hitler:
                              -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                              '95 525iT
                              '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                              '98 Disco 1

Comment

Working...
                              X