Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clip, O-Ring PN for Bosch design III use in OBD1 fuel rail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clip, O-Ring PN for Bosch design III use in OBD1 fuel rail?

I just swapped in a set of rebuilt pink injectors to go with my TRM chip and whatnot, and they are the "design III" style.

They do not feel quite as snug, and it seems like there is a little more slop between the intake manifold and the fuel rail when it's bolted together - i.e. the injector feels to me as if it is slightly shorter in length than my original green design IIs.

The clip that secures the injectors to the rail also does not fit the same, the DIII body is bigger at that diameter, thus the clip is opened wider and does not hold onto the rail as well. That's a bummer.

After the car was warmed up and I had taken it around the block, I shut it off and tidied up a bit in my garage. I then wanted to see if the new FPR I put in had noticeably quickened my startup, so I fired up the car again. At this point I double checked the rail and injectors for leaks, and along with the smell of gasoline I saw #1 spewing from the rail/injector interface.

I called it quits for the night so I haven't yet pulled it apart, but I presume that it will be prudent to replace that 1 or maybe all the O-rings. The injectors were stored indoors for several months before I got around to installing them, perhaps the rubber degraded. But I can't seem to find a definitive size or part number for these injectors' O-rings - are the OE parts compatible? Maybe the clip simply let go and the injector moved away from the rail that small amount to allow the leak. Is there a different clip I can get that fits properly?

Ok so I had a similar issue when I put in my bosch genIII 24lbers. I am guessing that your injectors dont have a clip slot at all.

Here you can see the notch at the top of a Gen2 bosch 21.5 lb injector

A lot of gen 3s did not come notched

Anyway the clip will go on it but it wont retain it. The injector should not technically be any shorter than the genII type that came in the car, the difference is that the injector is literally held up into the rail by the clip so it wont leak. It has some slop where it can slide farther down into the intake manifold. I discovered this too when putting in my injectors so I notched mine. I basically took em each and made a deep V notch on each side of the injector at the top under the little bump with a pocket knife. This allowed me to use the stock m50 rail clips. This will hold the injectors up so they dont leak. Probably no need to replace the o-rings. I would put a bit of oil/silicone/vasaline on the o-ring when you put em back in. This will help initial sealing as well.

PS. You can get an idea of how low to notch it by looking at it next to the gen2 injector to see how far down the notch is from the o-ring. This will allow the top part of the injector enough space to fit far up into the rail so it wont leak.

Comment

^Good thought.

Mine do have a notch:

But it isn't a full circumferential notch. I suppose that I can cut the body to continue the notch to allow for the clip to seat better.

Comment

Yup thats what id do. The plastic body is around a metal tube so as long you dont get carried away you wont hurt it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, this gives me hope of driving the car this weekend.

EDIT: For the archives... what I did was remove plastic from the groove in the injectors that the clip grabs, so that it holds tighter and grips the fuel rail properly.
          Last edited by butters; 07-28-2014, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X