Vanos not getting power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanos not getting power

I just completed a m52 OBD2 swap and am having problems. The car was feeling really sluggish between 2500rpms and 4000rpms. I called a shop and they said check to see if the vanos is getting 12v. I checked between that rev range and it is getting 0v. I checked my wiring harness connections at the cam/crank harness and they all seem connected correctly. Is there a fuse for the vanos somewhere that may have blown? What am I missing?

the plug at the beginning of the rail, does it have any cable connected there? does your harness have a Y shapped 2 plug harness close to the vanos selenoid?

confirm all your connections

Comment

Yes. That harness connects the cam sensor, the vanos, the fuel rail and the crank sensor. All 4 are connected. Is it possible I hooked up something else wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGreen View Post
        Yes. That harness connects the cam sensor, the vanos, the fuel rail and the crank sensor. All 4 are connected. Is it possible I hooked up something else wrong?
        yeah, you hooked up vanos to fuel rail harness instead of the Y harness.

Comment

No, I connected the Vanos to the y harness and the other part of the y to the fuel rail. To verify there is no power to the vanos, I unpluged the vanos and put a multimeter on the female section on the y harness that connects to the vanos. There was no voltage at any rpm. I think it is supposed to activate (12v) between 2500-5000. The other two plugs on the y are connected to the cam sensor and crank sensor.

Comment

Have any codes? Vanos/Cam sensor codes will shut down vanos and it wont ever sent voltage to solenoid....

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I started the engine with a full tank of 87 octaine. I had a check engine light after the first 15 minutes. Drove it about 12 miles or so and I got these codes at first:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then siphoned it and filled it up with 91 and cleared the codes. Only driven it two miles. No codes yet, but the vanos is still not getting power.
              Last edited by MrGreen; 09-18-2014, 08:35 AM. Reason: pics were not showing before

Comment

I'm betting the vanos code is still there just hasn't posted to obd2 pids yet.

Check Us out on Facebook
                Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                Full Product Line Tuning
                OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Is there a fuse for the vanos that I should check? If so, is it on the harness (where)?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGreen View Post
                    Is there a fuse for the vanos that I should check? If so, is it on the harness (where)?
                    Look up wiring diagram and check for continuity directly from the ECU plug to Vanos plug,

Comment

Dme/tune from that motor or from another?

Comment

Originally posted by cormier View Post
                        Dme/tune from that motor or from another?
                        Bought the m52 as an OBD1 package off the forum. Converted everything back to OBD2 (because I want to make sure I can pass the CA bar). Ordered the ECU off EBay and had Markert tune it. So no it is not original to match the engine. But the tune should have solved that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                          Look up wiring diagram and check for continuity directly from the ECU plug to Vanos plug,
                          Looking for the wiring diagram... I'm assuming that you are suggesting I check voltage (between 2500-5000rpms) coming from wiring harness plug (that the y harness plugs into)?

Comment

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

download this. check page 564(assuming you have a 96-97 m52). green/blue and red/white wire to vanos solenoid. looks like the dme grounds it with the green/blue wire. trace the red/white wire back to the common connection point. it looks like a lot of components share that same power source(look at center of diagram). if your injectors have power so should the vanos solenoid. if it doesnt i would suspect a break in the wire somewhere before it reaches it

Comment

Wow thanks for all the help guys. Looking into all of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X