A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions

I have an E30 M3 Gauge Cluster should i use that with an S50? since it has a higher RPM gauge than the M20 gauge.

Also can the Stock M20 clutch handle a modded S50?

Will the Wiring diagrams posted for M50 be the same for an S50? The more i read about the wiring and seeing as teh wiring is a major turn down of this project i might just buy the treehouse adapter. I know its so cheap to just do it your self and ill praobably end up doing it that way once i get in there. But ive had an E30 apart with all the wiring and i know what a nightmare chasing electrical problems can be. Eliminating the problem with an adapter made by someone who knows about this stuff might make this alot less painful

also Do i have to use a different brake booster? If i dont is it easier to just use a different one like the 320i or something? What are teh options because we have a 318i and a few 2002 parts around. Id like to see if they will work before going and buying one
    Last edited by Ball325; 05-24-2006, 04:29 PM.

wiring is easy.

yes you should use a modified e21 320i booster or an ix booster with some other modifications.

search around, ALL the info is here.
    Dan

Comment

have been my time was just occupied by that DOHC Thread which was very useful still had a few questions though.

Im searching now having trouble find if the wiring for an M50 is the same for an S50 i imagine they cant be much different

Comment

I've read that the e30 m3 tach doesn't work that great. You'll need a 6 cyl coding plug and then the rpms will still be off a little. Can't remeber how much - it's discussed somewhere on this forum.

Also not sure about the e30 clutch, but people have done it. I'll find out very soon when I get mine running.

If you're not good with wiring, you could have a problem. I'm just starting to get to the wiring on my s50->e30 m3. I can post a wiring list when I'm done. I'm pretty good with wiring so I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

Rumor is that only a 320i or 325ix brake booster work. I'm going with the 325ix setup. Last time at the junk yard I noticed that the 740i booster looks very similar to the 325ix. Anyone know if they're the same?

Comment

740i booster looks very similar to the 325ix. Anyone know if they're the same

that's an interesting question ,i'll be awaiting a reply too,i also saw a 740i brake booster at my local salvage yard and it does really look similar to the ix booster,for $17.00 i might just go ahead and give it a try....

Comment

Originally posted by Rev Engineer
            I've read that the e30 m3 tach doesn't work that great. You'll need a 6 cyl coding plug and then the rpms will still be off a little. Can't remeber how much - it's discussed somewhere on this forum.

Also not sure about the e30 clutch, but people have done it. I'll find out very soon when I get mine running.

If you're not good with wiring, you could have a problem. I'm just starting to get to the wiring on my s50->e30 m3. I can post a wiring list when I'm done. I'm pretty good with wiring so I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

Rumor is that only a 320i or 325ix brake booster work. I'm going with the 325ix setup. Last time at the junk yard I noticed that the 740i booster looks very similar to the 325ix. Anyone know if they're the same?
            im good with wiring i just hate it, also what about the e30 transmission can it handle the S50? im not worried about the clutch i can upgrade that the turbo guys do it all teh time so not a problem but the trans will it hold? I will have to see if teh turbo guys have had any failures with the stock overdrive box in an e30

Comment

Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

thanks

Comment

325iX servo is also listed as being used on:
                  E34 M5 3.5
                  E34 530i
                  E32 735i
                  E32 730i

However this part #34331161485 is the brake servo used on E32 V8s and RealOEM pics show them as being of the tandem piggyback servo variety.

Not sure how #485 differs from #486 though.

Interestingly #486 was replace by #34331160625 after 3/90.

Comment

I think the 7-series I saw was a 735i e32. Based on the models you listed for the 486 booster, it must be the same. That's cool - more options for people to do this setup. The only downside will be the need the cut and reweld the adapter. It looks like it's pretty easy though. It even looks like the factory might use a standard piece and then cut and weld to make the adapter for different models. I'll try to post some pictures...

Comment

I think the 7-series I saw was a 735i e32. Based on the models you listed for the 486 booster, it must be the same. That's cool - more options for people to do this setup. The only downside will be the need the cut and reweld the adapter. It looks like it's pretty easy though. It even looks like the factory might use a standard piece and then cut and weld to make the adapter for different models. I'll try to post some pictures...
                      So what you're saying is the adapter pieces care different length from the ix and the 735i? I found a 735i brake booster for 50 here and an ix for 100 bucks, I dont have access for a welder so maybe the ix is the better option?

Comment

Working...
                      X