m50 guys timing chain help plizzzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 guys timing chain help plizzzz

I just bought 1991 525i.. and i want to replace the timing chain. do i need a special bmw tool for this?? if i need it where can i buy it?

yeah i know.. i don't know shit about these m50s

thanks in advance
    IT IS BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES - emiliano zapata!

well, the timing chains rarely need replacing but if you must do so, you need a tool to align the 2 camshafts, it's a block with a square in it that locks both cams at TDC.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Unless the engine has 3 million miles on it, I'd replace the primary chain tensioner and call it a day. Are you getting chain rattle? Or maybe lifter rattle?

You have to remove the crank bolt in order to take the front timing cover off. In which case, the timing chain replacement will be more of an ordeal than you're probably willing to take on. Seriously. You need to dismantle a decent amount of the engine. You'll also need a mega cheater bar to undo the crank bolt, then to torque it back. The spec is 302 lbs-ft. Believe me, it is a bitch to get off.

It's almost worth it to just get a good condition salvage engine with a warranty on it and drop it in if your motor has super high mileage, bad compression and has 35 other running problems. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
      X