exhaust options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
    just watched static's video...his setup sounds great.

:up:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...58971022829659

thanks, this is with stock e36m3 muffler btw

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
      A prime example of how not to do it. Although the 3" exhaust ................... not sure how many times I'll have to say it... :hitler:
      i admit, i know nothing about exhausts. with that said, i just completed a full single 3" for the s50b32. what is ideal for the euro motors? dual 2 or single 3? cheers, jason

clamps are temporary until i drive it a few days.
      o2 hanging there is only for stoich meter.

Comment

Your collector could use some work. There's nothing wrong with clamps, also.

As for size, 3" is probably OK for a 300hp + euro motor. Run the motor's details through at www.headerdesign.com and it'll give you a better idea.

Comment

3" seems like about right for euro 3.2

smaller dia dual should be quieter and not as droney as single large dia due to resonance.

Comment

Your collector could use some work. There's nothing wrong with clamps, also.

As for size, 3" is probably OK for a 300hp + euro motor. Run the motor's details through at www.headerdesign.com and it'll give you a better idea.
            the collector is dual 2"id (almost exact matching the headers) going to a spread oval. its a little tough to see in the pic, but both "primaries" just barely touch and are cut off at 90 degrees....about 2" inside the ovaled collector. that metal v-shape on the outside was just to cover the back side of the collector.

thanks for the tip. what would make a better collector? i will check with header design.

Originally posted by static View Post
            .....smaller dia dual should be quieter and not as droney as single large dia due to resonance.
            i first fired the euro with just the collector on. it was amazingly smooth and quiet. no rumble, no pops, no resonance.

cheers, jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
              the collector is dual 2"id (almost exact matching the headers) going to a spread oval. its a little tough to see in the pic, but both "primaries" just barely touch and are cut off at 90 degrees....about 2" inside the ovaled collector. that metal v-shape on the outside was just to cover the back side of the collector.

thanks for the tip. what would make a better collector? i will check with header design.
              Those are actually secondaries. I personally used the stock BMW secondaries to just past the point where they join going into the cat (off an e36 325i) including the merge. I would probably prefer to use something premade by flowmaster or someone like that. They usually do a prettier job (neatness counts on the inside more than out) and they're pretty cheap.

Comment

It's not hard to determine the optimal solution... www.headerdesign.com will get you started.

They must be having trouble with the site, I tried to reg yesterday and today and it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyway, I'm guessing that they run a simulation?
                What do they use for inputs?

Comment

It takes into account a lot of things. I don't even remember most of it now. I think they are having server issues... I can't login either.

Comment

Originally posted by sefb222 View Post
                    i'm using one of these, modified to fit...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/RSC36/
                    Can you tell me (or PM/email) what you had to do to make that fit? That's the exhaust I want to use.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
                      Can you tell me (or PM/email) what you had to do to make that fit? That's the exhaust I want to use.
                      i tried to get the guy in exhaust shop to use the stock e36m3 catback in it's original state on mine. He basically said the piping angles are just way different, so we ended up just cutting pipes off and doing a custom one all the way to the muff.
                      You can probably ask a good welder to modify it with some mandrel pieces to make it fit nice.

How is the project going D ?

Comment

i tried to get the guy in exhaust shop to use the stock e36m3 catback in it's original state on mine. He basically said the piping angles are just way different, so we ended up just cutting pipes off and doing a custom one all the way to the muff.
                        You can probably ask a good welder to modify it with some mandrel pieces to make it fit nice.

That sucks. Would an E30 muffler bolt up to the E36 cats? How big are the E30 aftermarket muffler pipes (like a stromung?)?

It's going good man! Everything is ready, I've bought all new sensors/seals etc, everything is in, just need to modify the wiring harness, send the injectors for flowmatching/rebuild, and buy a new UUC flywheel and M5 clutch, a rad and maybe, beyond that all I can think of is the OBDI fuel rail and 318 harness cover, everything else is covered, even have an M3 cluster with 49k on it. Once all that is in, the exhaust is the last step. I have THR arms and with some subframe reinforcements for the subframe, I won't need any fucking around with the stock downpipes so I'll just get stock E36 cats. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I really REALLY like this dual muffler, straight through exhaust from UUC but it's a solid waste of $ to have to cut the pipes off and pay an exhaust monkey to do a new pair.

I'm in no rush, the car is wicked fast in the turns and I'm not racing so I don't care how many ricers fly past me in the straights. I'm learning a lot about the car and so is Felicia. One more track day in May, maybe one more in July but I'll probably put it in in time for July.

Comment

good news!

what subframe reinforcements are you talking about?
                          people succeded in massaging stock e36 exhaust into e30, but honestly, i would strongly advise to bite the bullet and make a full custom mandrel exhaust in a good exhaust shop - otherwise it might end up being a big pain in the ass.

Comment

You can use an e36 catback no problem. The trick is to redo the part BEFORE the flanges (after the cat). This is how ///Mpressive's car was done, and it was awesome.

Comment

Alex: I'm talking about the motor mount hardpoints in the subframe crossmember - weak.

You can use an e36 catback no problem. The trick is to redo the part BEFORE the flanges (after the cat). This is how ///Mpressive's car was done, and it was awesome.
                              Cool! Can you give me some more detail? I can't picture what the problem is. From static's post, it sounded like the problem is the pipes from the E36 catback don't follow the E30 underbody exhaust route properly. How does it help to modify the pipes after the cat (by after I assume you mean on the rear axle side? or on the motor side? and modify how?), wouldn't you also have to modify the catback pipes?

Thanks!!
                              D

Comment

hmm, well i don't remember it clearly now (it was a year ago) but the welder pretty much said it can't be done (go figure) and actually showed me what he meant.

in regards to changing the piping upstream from the catback flange, i wouldn't imagine there be too much wiggle room to move the cat pipe around as the tunnel is already pretty restrictive (can do perhaps 3" in each side latterally but not more i imagine)

maybe someone can post pics of Mpressive's setup?

Comment

Working...
                                X