Driveshaft center bearing design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft center bearing design

Well I got my s52 started in the car last weekend. Started on the first try! :D

I'm getting ready to install the driveshaft, which is a 325e "big guibo" unit. I had ordered the center bearing assembly for the type of car the driveshaft came on but recently discovered there appear to be two different types of bearings - early and late. My car is a 3/87 build so it is an "early" model. After doing a test fit of the front driveshaft, the mounting ears on the "late" bearing assembly are shorter than the holes in the body, so it will not reach "across" the driveshaft tunnel to bolt up.

Has any one used the "early" bearing with the later driveshaft successfully? I'm hoping the design change is just the mounting points on the body, and that it will bolt up like the original. From what I can see on realoem.com, the sizing of the bearing itself seems to be the same between the two.

Thoughts?
    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Disco 1

You just need the early bearing support. The bearing diameter is the same, but the early bracket has wider ears.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Best news I've heard all day! Thanks man!
      -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
      '95 525iT
      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
      '98 Disco 1

Comment

Yep, I had this problem and had to order an early bearing. Part # 26-12-1-225-152

Comment

Yep, it so happens I had a spare early bearing, NIB - in my parts bin. got the old 'new' one off and put the early one on. Everything bolted up like it was made for it!

Next up is sorting out my cooling fan situation...
          -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
          '95 525iT
          '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
          '98 Disco 1

Comment

Working...
          X