Guide to your OBD2 swap! Diagnostics and logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
    I can't seem to get the obd2 adapter to read anything. I am using the diag port adapter and a bt obd2 reader. I know the reader works, used it in my wife's car. I can connect to it when it's in my car, so it has power. What could be wrong that it doesn't get signal from the ecm?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Ive had some diag port adapters be DOA. I would also confirm the Kline is where it should be in the diag port. What harness/adapter are you running?

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Harness is from a 96/97 e36 m3 auto, I removed the automatic transmission wiring as well as the other unnecessary wiring for sap etc...

The adapter is one from Amazon. Goliton is the brand.

On my Bluetooth adapter, o get the red light for power always, but I never get the green light that should turn on with ignition.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

how did you wire C101?

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

To the best of my memory/documentation this is how its wired
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Missing nearly everything. How is the car running with no pin 7? Pin 6 powers the diag port.

Check Us out on Facebook
            Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I really need to do this...

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
              1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
              1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
              1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Like I said that was the only description I wrote down that I could find.

Comment

What do you connect them to on the e36 side?

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                    What do you connect them to on the e36 side?

Green/White 22 Green/Yellow 6 O2 Sensor Heater
                    Green 21 Green 7 Ignition

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                      Green/White22Green/Yellow6O2 Sensor Heater
                      Green21Green7Ignition
                      I know you are trying to help me, but I don't know what you mean when you just list colors and numbers

Comment

OK I figured it out. I imagine that I have c104 pin 2 connected to x20 pin 21 providing ecu power

I will need to review and see if I have connection to x20 pin 22. But I believe I do because I get +12 at all the right pins in the diagnostic plug.

Comment

Would we be able to read live oil and water temps?

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                          1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by craiggroves91 View Post
                            Would we be able to read live oil and water temps?
                            You can view realtime any data that the ecu collects via a bunch of different obd2 gauges, scanners etc.

You can't view realtime oil temp because its not a sensor/parameter that the ecu monitors. But you can view water temp.

Edit: I think there are gauge/sensor systems that can be incorporated and datalogged along with the obd2 parameters such as oil temp, oil pressure, afr, boost/vac
                            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                              You can view realtime any data that the ecu collects via a bunch of different obd2 gauges, scanners etc.

You can't view realtime oil temp because its not a sensor/parameter that the ecu monitors. But you can view water temp.
                              Okay, thats what I was thinking after I posted. Thank you! I'll have to get this going soon.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

OK so I looked at my c101 and it looks like I have it wired how you suggested.

Comment

Working...
                                X