Ebay perfomance chips FAIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay perfomance chips FAIL

Hey guys i just purchased a ebay chip for my m50Nv and supposably he had very good review so you know i bought it cause it was cheap and the best bang for the buck. Anyways i had it installed for about a week and it actually ran very well. it reved about 500 rpms more and you can feel the extra kick the chip offers. But now the chip fried the ecu. Im posting this thread for people not to make the same mistake i did. DONT BUY EBAY CHIPS!! They may seem cheap( which they are) but they will fry your dme and may do damage to your engine.

I dont want anything like this happening to other bmw owners. You get what you pay for and i guess i made that mistake. Its more worth investing in a known name brand chip like WAR or Dinan.

Good luck fellas

I doubt the chip was the reason the ecu failed. Its a very small probability. Chances are something else went wrong.

Comment

same thing happened to me on my non vanos. I filed an eBay complaint but ended up getting a dinan chipped DME from a friend for $20

sorry to hear!

like I said youre not the only one :( mine fried immediately though when I turned the ignition on in my e34

Comment

What was the vendor? I've used three eBay chips and have always had pretty good results. Never an issue on track or street cars. M50NV and normal M50 engines.

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
          I doubt the chip was the reason the ecu failed. Its a very small probability. Chances are something else went wrong.
          Yes, bad chip/eeprom tune can cause premature failure of the ECU. If coil dwell settings are changed then it may overheat coil transistors and make them burn up

Comment

I had an issue with a chip for my eta where the ecu would shut itself off on hot days. let the car sit a spell and it would start again. chased issues for weeks and finally swapped the chip out. no issues the rest of the summer.

Comment

it's a gamble... like ending up with a bad pill
              Last edited by 4DR_Lou; 10-20-2015, 11:01 PM.
              1990 325i - Current Project
              2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050

Comment

Originally posted by danielpak_ek9 View Post
                Hey guys i just purchased a ebay chip for my m50Nv and supposably he had very good review so you know i bought it cause it was cheap and the best bang for the buck. Anyways i had it installed for about a week and it actually ran very well. it reved about 500 rpms more and you can feel the extra kick the chip offers. But now the chip fried the ecu. Im posting this thread for people not to make the same mistake i did. DONT BUY EBAY CHIPS!! They may seem cheap( which they are) but they will fry your dme and may do damage to your engine.

I dont want anything like this happening to other bmw owners. You get what you pay for and i guess i made that mistake. Its more worth investing in a known name brand chip like WAR or Dinan.

Good luck fellas
                What is the name of the seller/eBay store? You're entire post is useless if you don't post specific details.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X