Overheating, Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating, Please Help!

I have an s50 I just swapped in my e30 and its overheating horribly. If I let the car idle the temp will be normal but if I drive the car for anything longer than 5 minutes even at 25 mph it will overheat. Has a new radiator and spal fan hooked up. Bought it from a BMW speciality place who replaced the head gasket waterpump and thermostat then the e36 m3 was rolled so they pulled the motor and sold it to me. They did not have the head decked when it was off though which seems odd to me. Ran compression and all cylinders we're between 180-200. Could it still be head gasket? Bled the system to no avail, even tried a different radiator. Going to try a different thermostat and see what happens. Any ideas as to why it could be overheating. Hoping to run leak down soon if I can find a tester local so I don't have to buy one. Please help! Thanks
    1990 S50 Calypso-rot 325i

What temp sensor did you use?
    Current
    99 328i (Sold)
    91 318is M50B25TU
    89 325ix (Parted out)
    87 325is (Parted out)
    95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

Comment

Originally posted by R1dd1ck913 View Post
      What temp sensor did you use?
      M20 sensor I'm fairly sure

Comment

Originally posted by Midweste30 View Post
        If I let the car idle the temp will be normal but if I drive the car for anything longer than 5 minutes even at 25 mph it will overheat.
        This is typical cracked head symptom and it is very common for these heads to develop a crack from intake valve to one of the coolant ports. At idle it is all fine, meaning thermostat is opening, water is circulating, radiator is doing it's job. But when you drive it compression is higher, there is load on the engine, compression is pushing air trough the crack into cooling system, you are getting air into cooling system and it cant circulate properly.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
          This is typical cracked head symptom and it is very common for these heads to develop a crack from intake valve to one of the coolant ports. At idle it is all fine, meaning thermostat is opening, water is circulating, radiator is doing it's job. But when you drive it compression is higher, there is load on the engine, compression is pushing air trough the crack into cooling system, you are getting air into cooling system and it cant circulate properly.
          I forgot to mention when I posted this is that when we let it idle then revved it up and it got hot only half of the radiator was hot on the drivers side. The other half was completely cold like coolant wasn't running through it at all. Then I took it out and ran water through it and it wasn't clogged or anything if the sort

Comment

Sounds like maybe your thermostat isnt opening or your water pump isnt circulating coolant

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
              I just want to point out that compression is fixed. Static compression is a characteristic of the engine and dynamic compression is related to the cam. However, cylinder pressure can rise with RPM due to momentum effects created by the air rushing into the engine.

Comment

Faulty Themostat!

Comment

You can get water through a radiator and it stll be clogged. It's best to take the radiator into a shop that can test it if you suspect it could be faulty.
                  Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=326498

Comment

Originally posted by Midweste30 View Post
                    Faulty Themostat!
                    if the thermostat is always closed then it will overheat during idle also, you said it does not overheat during idle

Comment

Working...
                    X