m50 alternator sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 alternator sizes

Is it me or does all the m50s come with a giagantic alternator? I mean this one is huge!!!! I was browsing bf.com and there was an 80amp bosch alternator, and it looked a 1/3 of the size. I'll post pictures tomorrow. And i do have a bosch alternator

you might have the upgrade every one gets which is the 140amp alt.

Mike Fritz

Comment

140 is the way to go. I got it. The thing is pretty huge. Even has it's own cooling ducting.
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

I guess my motor came with the big one because i was confused when i saw a cooling duct. When you guys say it was an upgrade was it a factory option or did the small ones take a dump and they put in a bigger one?
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

I think the cooling duct comes standard on all of the alternators i think cause even the 80amp that was for sale had it. I'm confused i guess it's a good thing i have the big one

Comment

I believe there was a Bosch and a Valeo alternator available. I assume one is the 80 amp and one is the 140? I imagine the 80 amp has less drag on the engine, right?
            -Brandon
            '86 325es S50
            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
            S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I have only seen the alternators with the cooling duct on them, I would guess that if you see an m50 without out it, it means it has been replaced. Like Beej said the smaller alternator will have less load on the engine. Unless your powering a serious sub or something crazy I doubt you'd need a bigger alternator, correct me if I'm wrong though

Comment

Upon further research on pelican parts, it looks like there were 3 different alternators.

80 amp Bosch
                140 amp Bosch
                140 amp Valeo

I believe when you order the UUC pullies, you have to specify whether it's a Bosch or Valeo alternator.
                -Brandon
                '86 325es S50
                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

i hear the pulley for the alternator could be used for both......hmmmm

Comment

Both Bosch and Valeo? No.

Comment

OT but how do i remove the alternator pulley so i can put the new underdrive on, there's no place i can grab onto so the pulley doesnt' spin while trying to loosen the nut

Comment

You need to use an impact gun.

Comment

Working...
                        X