Nasty Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasty Oil Leak

Started building my exhaust and noticed that I have an oil leak on my fresh rebuilt motor swap. It is leaking at the transmission side of the pan enough to drip once about every 10 minutes. So I pulled the pan off, replaced the brand new OEM gasket with another brand new OEM and cleaned off the silicone I put at the seams of the rear main seal housing and as well as the front timing cover and reapplying, hoping I might of just did a shitty job applying the black RTV the first time. Got under my car again this last weekend to get more done on the exhaust, and it is leaking more than the first time!

My question to you guys is: Am I even suppose to use RTV? Do I put a bead along the whole rear main seal housing?

I am almost certain it is not coming from the rear main seal housing where it is mated to the block. I will also check the next time I pull the pan off to see if my pan might be warped.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be 'DPH brand made in Germany' rear main seal. Lip is not big enough to provide proper seal. I am using 'National' brand 229005 from CARQUEST and it has big strong lip with a spring and after I installed that one, no more leaks.

Comment

Yeah, probably your rear main was installed poorly or is just shitty. I installed my pan gasket with gray RTV on both sides and it's been good 18 months. My rear main was pretty dry (113K miles) so I didn't change it exactly for that reason.

Comment

Working...
      X