Price check on S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price check on S52

I've decided once and for all to go s50/52 for my sedan. I came across a 99 M3 cabrio, automatic with low miles for sale for $3750. Do you think that's a low enough price for me to buy it just for the S52, suspension, wheels, and other stuff?
    My Feedback

Depends on the condition of the body and the other parts. I paid $2000 for my S52, E34 pan, M50 manifold kit, harness, etc.

Wheels could go for $500~ maybe more with good tires. You could probably get $400 for the auto transmission and maybe a few hundred for the suspension. That diff should be a 3.38 and a friend just sold one of those for $450.

So going through all that you've got an engine worth roughly $1700, $500 for the wheels, $450 in a diff and $400 for transmission. In total that's a little over $3000 and you've still got an entire interior, body parts, suspension and various M-bits like the steering wheel, shift knob, door sills, etc.

That could all add up to a good number itself. But then you need to weigh if you have the time and space to part out a car. Time value of money and what not.

Comment

That's a cheap price for a complete, running, low mile car. I'm sure you can end up with a really cheap S52 if you are willing to put out the time and effort to sell off the rest of the car.

I had access to the car that my donor motor came out of and it was really nice to be able to see where everything goes and take all of the parts I wanted (steering rack for example) versus just buying a motor that someone else removed.

Comment

Originally posted by exhaust View Post
        But then you need to weigh if you have the time and space to part out a car. Time value of money and what not.
        That's pretty much the biggest issue, really. Also, any of the parts not used for my e30 would be used for my e36. However, it seems like a shame to part out a good running car; I'd be tempted to just leave it alone for a daily summer cruiser.

And now i'm thinking about trying to find an aluminum m52 instead...
        My Feedback

Comment

Working...
        X