dipstick tube bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dipstick tube bracket

What are you guys using to secure the e34 dipstick on the swapped cars? Do the brackets off of the e34 work? I looked at how they were attached to the block on the e34, and it looks like the bracket is attached where the motor mounts go.

Anyone have pictures of their oil dipstick bracket? I've traced down one of my oil leaks to the dipstick o-ring, and figure that with a bracket, the leaking would be minimal.

Thanks for the help guys.
    San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Yeah,

I need to figure this out too as mine is secured ghetto like.

Comment

Ditto, I hate how it's all floppy.
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

i used a piece of metal strapping to attach the dipstick tube to the side of the intake manifold bracket support thing...

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
          i used a piece of metal strapping to attach the dipstick tube to the side of the intake manifold bracket support thing...

-Erik
          Any pics? what tube did you use?

Comment

i have both the e34 and e36 dipstick and i decided to just stick with the e36 dipstick cause it's closer to the intake manifold and i can just ziptie it to the manifold braket. The e34 one seems to just flop around, i'm probably missing something though

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony
              i decided to just stick with the e36 dipstick cause it's closer to the intake manifold and i can just ziptie it to the manifold braket.
              I have both as well and that is the same exact solution I am running. I want to do something a little better.

Comment

post it up when you find a better solution, i'll do the same

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony
                  post it up when you find a better solution, i'll do the same
                  will do. i just been busy with other stuff. I've been meaning to do it.

Comment

I used the E34 dipstick tube and it bolted up fine. Bolts right up under the mani. Not loose at all.

Also had the oring on the bottom of the tube. Took a while to find the leak, since it only leaks when running.

Comment

Looks like some of you guys are having the same leak that I have. I have a set of engine block brackets from an e34, which I'll try bending/drilling/cutting to make some sort of solution. I don't want the tube secured to the manifold, since it would be one more step needed to take off the manifold (which I do frequently when messing with the engine).

I've got the engine out to upgrade to a e36 rack and clean up the bay, and I'd like to fix all my leaks before I drop the engine back into a clean bay.

Post up any pics and I'll be sure to do the same.

KangamangusDriver: The dipstick oring is supposed to be at the bottom of the dipstick well of the pan, right?

Comment

I thought it was supposed to be at the top of the small lip for some reason. I think I'll put one on the bottom and the top and see if that secures it anymore, since I have 2 orings.
                        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerToad
                          Looks like some of you guys are having the same leak that I have. I have a set of engine block brackets from an e34, which I'll try bending/drilling/cutting to make some sort of solution. I don't want the tube secured to the manifold, since it would be one more step needed to take off the manifold (which I do frequently when messing with the engine).

I've got the engine out to upgrade to a e36 rack and clean up the bay, and I'd like to fix all my leaks before I drop the engine back into a clean bay.

Post up any pics and I'll be sure to do the same.

KangamangusDriver: The dipstick oring is supposed to be at the bottom of the dipstick well of the pan, right?
                          1.) I made the mistake of installing my motor with the E34 engine arms. Bad
                          idea, off about 4-5inches.

2.) One bolt holds the dipstick tube to the manifold. Easy to remove.

3.) If I remember the o-ring goes below the notch on the tube making the sandwich go oil pan, o-ring, dipstick tube. In that order.

If I knew that was the culprit I would of not machined an aluminum plate to bypass my oil level switch/unit. However it now holds a lil more oil.

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i

-Erik

+1 for that ....
                            253rwhp

My Vids(OLD)
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/a/u/0/hS4ZAzSdUdY
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/u/2/C-0hnV2k_xU

Comment

Just finished mounting my 'custom' dipstick bracket to the engine. I used an extra rear manifold support bracket I had laying around, and attached one end to the block hole 1 up from the bottom, just right of the oil filter housing. Marked where the dipstick hole lined up with the bracket, drill, cut, paint, used M8 for the block screw, M6 for the dipstick hole, a stack of washers, and mount it. Dipstick is going nowhere now.

Pics:

Comment

Working...
                              X