Turbo M50 E30's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo M50 E30's

Any pics, specs or info flying around. I did asearch but not much came up.

I know Revo in Florida (he still hang around?) did one.

I think I have seen only two E30 M50 turbo's in my life. One was Revo's white E30 with S50 and turbo. The other was a yellow E30M3 with an S52 and turbo.

Both cars had the turbo manfiold upside down so the turbo sat at the front of the engine bay. I have heard that there really is not enough room to put a turbo in the typical location.

Heat is a huge concern for me since I live in AZ, but not as big as it once was considering the E30 no longer has to be my daily driver. Still, a turbo sitting at the front of the engine bay next to the valve cover is not good for heatsoak reasons. Actually, I beleive both the white e30 and yellow e30 M3 had their plastic valve covers removed as the turbo metled the plastic.

Just trying to get some info and ideas.
    2004 SL600 - Current
    ------------------------
    2006 SL55 AMG - Sold
    2004 M3 SMG - Sold
    1999 540i Sport - Sold :(
    1989 325i coupe- Sold
    1988 325is M50 M-tec - Sold :(

I dont have any productive info to add, but I would love to hear some ideas, I've always dreamed of turboing my m52e30 someday way down the road. m52 + turbo = 400+whp.

Comment

There is a fella on e30tech, and I believe he posted in the swaps engine bay thread who is turboing his s52. My friend with the honda colored e30 is also planning to turbo his m50 after stroking to 2.8.
      Old and improved:

Comment

E30, s52, AEM, GT35R on custom manifold, Tial WG and BOV, custom Spearco FMIC... should be good for 500hp+ on stock motor... car isnt running yet
        e30sport.net
        '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
        '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
        '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

ICS has done a couple of turbo'd 24 valves in an e30. They mount the turbo e36 style.

Comment

the turbo will fit in the normal location. there is a little less room in an e30 than in a e36, but you can still squeeze one down.

As etasport said, I am planning on stroking my M50 to a 2.8 (M52) (M52 has a forged crank baby!! :D) hopefully this fall and then going turbo next spring.

The only way I can really answer a question is by you first deciding on how much power do you want to be putting down.

Then I can give more insight on what type of turbo you should run and what manifold you can run.

I myself am planning on running the SPA manifold with a T60-1 HIFI turbo. looking to reach about 400 whp. But truthfully ANYTHING over 300 whp is crazy in an e30.
            I might change my mind and do a custom top mount manifold for the car. I have ask local shops around for a price, and the price can vary from about 700-1800 (and no that's not candian $'s)

but first say what your goals are and do you have a Non-vanos or VANOS motor? Then I can be alittle more help.

Mike Fritz

Comment

turbo on any of these motors would be pure sex...after my swap i dont want too much mad power were traction becomes an issue put after some bolt-on mods like m3 cams, lightwgt flywheel and pullies i want to get an AA S/C kit followed by tuning for a powerful motor. i know i wont be making mad hp but it would be sufficient:D ...can someone estimate how much power i would be making with the cams, S/C and tuning??

Comment

Originally posted by e30_kid89
                turbo on any of these motors would be pure sex...after my swap i dont want too much mad power were traction becomes an issue put after some bolt-on mods like m3 cams, lightwgt flywheel and pullies i want to get an AA S/C kit followed by tuning for a powerful motor. i know i wont be making mad hp but it would be sufficient:D ...can someone estimate how much power i would be making with the cams, S/C and tuning??

what motor???

for the 325 AA's kit comes with sufficient tuning, i think you see 315 crank and almost 300 wheel, which is plently for an e30

328 would be a little more especially with OBD-I

m3 is like 350 or something, crank.

or you could get the twin screw..... which is only 360 at level one but 418 at level 2. :firehop:

Mike Fritz

Comment

let me know if you need turbo manifolds. I'm the guy to see for SPA parts (or turbo parts in general for BMW's.) :)

I have a few pics of the progress on the E30M3 with low compression S52 and overly large turbo that is in the shop at the moment if anyone is interested I can post them.

Comment

Yes please techno.
                    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Comment

Holy tightness....
                        Does it produce the desired effects? ;)
                        Slicktop City!

Comment

solid motor mounts.. Need all the space you can get. Planing on any heat shields or wrap being that close?

sick setup
                          Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
                          X