Troubleshooting problems on M52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting problems on M52 swap

Hey everyone! I recently bought an '89 325is with an M52 swap and had it shipped up here from Arizona. I had 2 friends down there spend a couple hours inspecting/driving it, and everything looked great. The swap was professionally done in 2010-2011 and it's had about 10k put on it since then.

Since I got it here 3 weeks ago though, it's had a couple major issues:

1. Runs very rich at idle, like it's stuck in open loop. I measured HC's at 1300 last week.
    2. Pings under part throttle from about 3k to 4k RPM.
    3. The temp gauge never gets above 1/4, even though laser temp readings of the radiator are at 180. (It does have a "low temp" thermostat for AZ weather, which I plan to replace with OEM soon.)

Current plan of action.
    (Please let me know if there are steps I'm missing or could improve on here, as I'm a bit of a newbie with these motors)

1. Replace low-temp thermostat with OEM unit.
    2. Check ECT sensors to see how they are wired up, since the motor was originally OBD2 but it's currently OBD1.
    3. Run a continuity check to the ECT pinouts to verify proper resistance at the DME
    4. Swap in a known-good 413 DME

Engine specs here in case that helps:
    M52B28 from E39 528i
    OBD1 conversion
    413 (silver label) DME with TRM chip
    540i MAF
    VAC injectors (24 lbs/hr)
    M50 intake manifold
    Sport cams with 268 D .411 lift (Schrick maybe?)
    M54 pistons (10.8:1 CR)

TIA for any help! If you're local and want to come by to help me troubleshoot, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    1989 325is w/M52 swap
    1989 320i coupe, mostly stock

Any suggestions?
    1989 325is w/M52 swap
    1989 320i coupe, mostly stock

Comment

Working...
    X