Cam Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Condition

The four rear-most journals on the exhaust cam have got some pretty vicious scoring. What are my options here? Am I committed to sourcing a new/decent condition cam/tray/caps?

Rear-most Exhaust Journal

Second Last Exhaust Journal

Third Last Exhaust Journal

Fourth last Exhaust Journal

They get progressively worse the further back you go; the intake cam is perfect.

Thanks for your insight.

Previous:
    '82 911SC [sold]
    '11 WRX [murdered]
    '14 B8 S4 [Sold]

All I can say is that I had this exact issue on the exhaust cam also. Not quite that bad but almost. The cam tray was scored also. The engine ran flawlessly though.

I replaced the cams and trays so I can't say what you should do beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
      All I can say is that I had this exact issue on the exhaust cam also. Not quite that bad but almost. The cam tray was scored also. The engine ran flawlessly though.

I replaced the cams and trays so I can't say what you should do beyond that.
      Thanks for the advice. I'm investing pretty heavily on the bottom end and machine work with plans to upgrade the cams in the future since that can all be done while it's in the car (good god cams are expensive). I think I'll leave it as is for now. The engine ran fine before I pulled it from the donor car, so that's reassuring.

Previous:
      '82 911SC [sold]
      '11 WRX [murdered]
      '14 B8 S4 [Sold]

Comment

If OIL pressure is ok you can stay with it. But if OIL pressure is less then factory say, You need to change camshaft and camshaft "bearing" (I don't know how it name in ENG).

And why it so dirty?? :D It look like You take it from sand :) Someone before You change under head gasket, and don't wash oil pipes after head machining. And dust with oil goes to cam bearing. That's why it is scratch.
        World quality custom part's for your race/drift/drag BMW, in low cost money.

https://www.facebook.com/Projects.SAS

Comment

All of the 24v motors that are run hard and subject to oil starvation exhibit this to some extent. Yours look to be at the more worn end of the spectrum.

I have heard tell of emery cloth being used to smooth out particularly large gouges. I am assuming they are way past the "just catch them with your fingernail" stage?

Comment

Mine were pretty bad, I had a shop polish mine and they came back pretty nice. My oil pressure is at `25psi at warm idle, ~55psi at warm load and ~55psi at cold start up

Comment

Working...
            X