E30 M50 Fuel Filter bypassed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M50 Fuel Filter bypassed?

Hello! I've encountered a strange problem with my swapped e30. The other day, the car ran out of gas. Put a few gallons of gas in, and it was only cranking. No fuel. The next day, I finally got it to run. It ran perfect, back to normal. I figured all the air in the system had worked itself out. The next day, I was driving, then all of a sudden lost fuel pressure, and stalled. The car had been driving perfect for the last 30 minutes. I had even made a few stops on the way. I figured that some stuff had been sucked up by the pump when it was empty, and got caught in the fuel filter. Went to work on it today, and did not find it. All I found was the small one next to the fuel pump in the Driver's side wheel well. (The car ran fine after I tapped on the external fuel pump for a while. I did drive it home about 20 minutes after that)

Question is...
    Is it even the fuel filter?
    Is it possible that the fuel filter was bypassed?

Spoke with PO, they had a similar issue about a month before I bought the car. He said he replaced the transfer pump, and that solved the issue. Should I replace the external pump? Please help, as this is my daily.
    1985 E30 M50
    ig: jake_yem

The fuel filter is under the drivers side rocker ahead of the rear wheel unless you have an eta with dual fuel pumps. In that case, it's down near the frame rail in the engine bay on the drivers side.

Comment

Replacing the fuel filter is a good idea if it's old. Get the bosch oem one. Even if it doesn't solve the problem it's cheap and you'll have a new one in there

Comment

Working...
      X