Rebuilding an S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding an S52

Hi R3V. I'm picking up an s52 to put in my e30. The engine is out of a 98' M3 and it has over 200k miles on it. I want to rebuild it, but I have zero knowledge on these 24v engines. My plan right now is to open it up and check the pistons, rods, bearings, camshaft, valves, etc. Basically inspect everything in the engine and I'm sure I'll have to replace some of those things, but I've been google searching write-ups on peoples engine rebuilds and so far I haven't come across anything that would be helpful. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Such as rotating assembly kits? Rods and pistons for a good price from somewhere? Honestly anyone's knowledge/opinion would help at this point.

Here's an old pic of the car for something to look at.
    -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
    -1990 325i sedan

Originally posted by Dalejandrino View Post
    I've been google searching write-ups on peoples engine rebuilds and so far I haven't come across anything that would be helpful. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Such as rotating assembly kits? Rods and pistons for a good price from somewhere?
    I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if it's info on how to disassemble, reconditioning and rebuilding the S52 engine, there's a plethora of info out there.

I know because I started my current engine build from a point were I had never removed the bottom end of an engine before. After reading and watching everything M50/M52/S50/S52/M54 engine building related, the whole process was a breeze once I started wrenching on my blocks.

Check out some of the following;

- This guy's insanely detail anatomical analysis of the M54

- pazi88 on YouTube is a guy from Finland with a pretty sweet E30 M52 Turbo build - look for the "M52 winter maintenance" video series. Overall it's pretty informative/ entertaining stuff for an owner-build car

- There's a bunch of great M52 rebuild threads right here in this forum, though no particular ones come to mind right now. Just search for M52 or S52 and thou shall find.

- Couple the above with any other general engine rebuilding literature, as well as copies of the E30 & E36 Bentley Manuals, and maybe the Torque Spec PDF that get's linked every now and then (like here)

- Become master 24V engine re-builder

Yes, I know none of the above is explicitly S52 related, and although there's no S52's were I am, my understanding is that in terms of procedure, there's nothing unique about the S52, compared to the M52B28.

Can't really comment on best place for the kits, since buying parts down here is a painful experience no matter what, I just go with the traditional places - Turner, Pelican, VAC

Comment

Originally posted by NufnSus View Post
      I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if it's info on how to disassemble, reconditioning and rebuilding the S52 engine, there's a plethora of info out there.

I know because I started my current engine build from a point were I had never removed the bottom end of an engine before. After reading and watching everything M50/M52/S50/S52/M54 engine building related, the whole process was a breeze once I started wrenching on my blocks.

Check out some of the following;

- This guy's insanely detail anatomical analysis of the M54

- pazi88 on YouTube is a guy from Finland with a pretty sweet E30 M52 Turbo build - look for the "M52 winter maintenance" video series. Overall it's pretty informative/ entertaining stuff for an owner-build car

- There's a bunch of great M52 rebuild threads right here in this forum, though no particular ones come to mind right now. Just search for M52 or S52 and thou shall find.

- Couple the above with any other general engine rebuilding literature, as well as copies of the E30 & E36 Bentley Manuals, and maybe the Torque Spec PDF that get's linked every now and then (like here)

- Become master 24V engine re-builder

Yes, I know none of the above is explicitly S52 related, and although there's no S52's were I am, my understanding is that in terms of procedure, there's nothing unique about the S52, compared to the M52B28.

Can't really comment on best place for the kits, since buying parts down here is a painful experience no matter what, I just go with the traditional places - Turner, Pelican, VAC
      Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out those youtube videos. I think I actually watched part of one briefly. I appreciate your help.
      -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
      -1990 325i sedan

Comment

Working...
      X