Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me put together an OBD1 -> OBD2 checklist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me put together an OBD1 -> OBD2 checklist!

Hey all-

Currently have an M50 in my E30 running OBD1. In the next couple of months I'm planning on swapping in my S52 sitting in the garage and I want to run OBD2 with it. At that time I will also be swapping out my Getrag 260 trans for the ZF trans that came out of the same M Roadster the motor came from. I sure could use some help in putting together a checklist for the swap.

I do have the harness that came from the S52. If you have done this same sort of swap successfully, would you mind chiming in and letting me know what I need to start acquiring? Any info regarding needed sensors, adapters, connectors, etc, would be _greatly_ appreciated. Also I realize I will need a different driveshaft (E30 M3?) for the trans swap. I'd love to have everything already purchased and ready when I start this job.

Thanks!!!
    '90 325is/S52
    '76 2002
    '74 2002tii
    '06 325i sedan
    '05 X5 3.0i
    '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

I can help you out with the wiring portion as I swapped an s52 from an M roadster a couple of years ago. Some of the wiring is very different from the regular e36 M3 s52 engine. There's a link in my sig to the wiring diagrams for the M roadster S52 that will be very useful for you. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the wiring, and keep in mind you'll most likely have to wire in your own fuel pump relay as they are located under the dash in the Z3M cars. Good luck!
    M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
    Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
    M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Originally posted by luckysnafu View Post
      I can help you out with the wiring portion as I swapped an s52 from an M roadster a couple of years ago. Some of the wiring is very different from the regular e36 M3 s52 engine. There's a link in my sig to the wiring diagrams for the M roadster S52 that will be very useful for you. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the wiring, and keep in mind you'll most likely have to wire in your own fuel pump relay as they are located under the dash in the Z3M cars. Good luck!
      hey luckysnafu, thanks so much for the link! that will definitely be most helpful, as i do have an S52 from an M roadster. is the fuel pump relay the only significant difference i will have to deal with?
      '90 325is/S52
      '76 2002
      '74 2002tii
      '06 325i sedan
      '05 X5 3.0i
      '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Comment

The other major difference with the Z3M engine is the wiring for the check engine light. It's connected to the X6031 connector on the wiring harness. I didn't think I needed that connector for the swap and cut the whole thing off before realizing I needed a wire from it. Make sure you trace it and know where it is before cutting off that connector.
        M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
        Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
        M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Working...
        X