Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wiring on '90+ e30 and S50 swap = no ABS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring on '90+ e30 and S50 swap = no ABS?

Hi

After my swap was completed, i lost my ABS (i was not the one performing the swap)
    I kept asking you guys if it's a wiring issue and whoever had replied basically said that their ABS worked fine after swap.
    It was brought to my attention recently that on '90 and '91 models 325i something is different about ABS (i am guessing wiring) that apparently could caused my ABS loss.

Anyone knows about those particularities of '90+ wiring that could have caused it?

Thanks
    Alex

Originally posted by static View Post
    Hi

After my swap was completed, i lost my ABS (i was not the one performing the swap)
    I kept asking you guys if it's a wiring issue and whoever had replied basically said that their ABS worked fine after swap.
    It was brought to my attention recently that on '90 and '91 models 325i something is different about ABS (i am guessing wiring) that apparently could caused my ABS loss.

Anyone knows about those particularities of '90+ wiring that could have caused it?

Thanks
    Alex
    the 90+ cars do not have an abs relay. the power comes from the main relay. since you removed the main relay (with the m20) and added a new main relay (via m50 harness) ....you will need to power the system. cross reference the wiring diagrams for the abs system on 90+ cars. it will show which pin (and wire color) in the c101 needs to get power from your new main relay. cheers, jason

Comment

thanks man!

can anyone verify and give more info on how exactly i should go about wiring that?

Thanks
      Alex

Comment

So is that why my abs light is on .....oh well i do fine without it.
        253rwhp

My Vids(OLD)
        http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/a/u/0/hS4ZAzSdUdY
        http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/u/2/C-0hnV2k_xU

Comment

Originally posted by static View Post
          can anyone verify and give more info on how exactly i should go about wiring that?
          Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
          cross reference the wiring diagrams for the abs system on 90+ cars. it will show which pin (and wire color) in the c101 needs to get power from your new main relay. cheers, jason

Comment

My car is a late '89 and I seem to recall that it is wired the same as the 90+ cars.

On the chassis side of my C101, pin 20 (red/yellow wire) is ABS. I ran a 14 gauge wire between pin 20 on the engine side of my connector to the Engine Control Module Relay in the E36 engine bay wiring harness. I tapped into the red/white wire (Relay port 87a). This gives power during start/run.

Verify all of the above information with your wiring diagrams appropriate to your swap.

Document your changes on your wiring diagram if you need to trouble shoot in the future.

Comment

thanks guys

Alex

Comment

Jason: LOL he probably doesn't have any idea what your taking about thats why he's asking for more info.

Alex: Take it to your machanic (Charlie aka Bimmersport) Pay him some more money and Vola, your ABS will be fixed!

Any more info and your basically asking for someone to do it for you.

Comment

^^ thanks Trev, no need to patronize. Did i offend you in any way?

i reasked because i was hoping someone would have the precise info on that handy, like for instance people who have done conversion on their '90+ e30s, and perhaps you would agree that pointing out what exactly needs to be done will be muuuch easier than for me to figure it out on my own. So i do not see how asking for that is out of line.

Perhaps you think of yourself as a great mechanic and that everyone has uncle working in garage, has access to hoist/garage and have loads of spare time to tinker with car and go through electrical diagrams, and that everyone should do their own conversion.
                  I, for one, think that it makes more sense to pay a reasonable amount to a professional to perform the job rather than do it myself with my own amature half-ass knowledge or skill.

Bottom line: if you have nothing helpful or at least nice to say, please keep your thoughts to yourself

guess it would be unthinkable for you to instead of trying to put me down actually offer help, like for example NickP did today for a beer.
                  Last edited by static; 08-23-2006, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Sorry about that, I do apologize i've been working too much and not in the good mood lately.

Sorry for coming off a bit harsh.

Its just sometimes I get annoyed at the questions being asked and the level of detail you expect.

Plus not knowing exactly how your swap was performed and what parts where used makes it impossible to tell you exactly which wire, what colour its going to be and where it is and where to put it.

Jason gave you a great answer and you should be gratefull.

Comment

Apology accepted.
                      Yes Jason helped, and i expressed my gratitude, see my second post in this thread.

Alex

Originally posted by T.Dot E30 View Post
                      Sorry about that, I do apologize i've been working too much and not in the good mood lately.

Sorry for coming off a bit harsh.

Its just sometimes I get annoyed at the questions being asked and the level of detail you expect.

Plus not knowing exactly how your swap was performed and what parts where used makes it impossible to tell you exactly which wire, what colour its going to be and where it is and where to put it.

Jason gave you a great answer and you should be gratefull.

Comment

This information is now in the wiki. Please verify or update as necessary.

E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                        X