Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS41.1 S52 INPA Results

Hey guys-

So i've been getting ramped up on using INPA with my MS41.1 (Tuned with MS41.2) and e30s52. I'm finding a wealth of info over on Bimmerforums but not so much over here- so I'd like to share my findings as I am currently chasing after a few issues.

Here is currently where I am at. MS41.1 selected as DME within INPA 5.0.0 (latest english version I could get a hold of) I was wondering if anyone had any input or 'standard' with what typically these values should be at- and what I should investigate.

Chime in with whatever opinions/thoughts you might have. Running a smoke test today to see whats up, I'm 95% sure I have a leak somewhere as everything is hooked up correctly. I'll report back.

Cold

Warm

Codes, tank pressure which we don't have unless you retrofit it if your from CA. Need to get this coded out.
    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

That's cool. I'm not much help, but I'm about to embark on the same adventure. I have an old Dell laptop with a native serial port, a bunch of plugs/cables/adapters for connecting to the car and little if any time to screw around. I'd like to do some monitoring in OBD1 on my 93 325is with 413 DME and eventually switch to OBD2 with an MS41.1 or .2 DME.

Watching with great interest. Oh, and can you point the way to the source of your software (INPA and anything else you're using) and are you using any VM stuff or just running it all on Windows XP?

Comment

You have hackentt/Kassel tune?

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
        You have hackentt/Kassel tune?
        Yes, how can you tell? :roll:

Trying to use what I have with the donor s52 I got, I know I still need to get the fuel tank pressure fault coded out...in addition to whatever issues I have going on still. Kassel did finally reach out to me after I had my big wiring debacle, but I'll see what happens here going forward. Currently my opinion on this tune is a flat line- can't tell you if I'm having issues with the tune or the engine itself but I'll be figuring it out here shortly.

As far as my results..something is off, not quite sure what it might be. Did a smoke test yesterday and really only found one small leak at the intake temp probe on the boot. Not quite sure what else is acting up. MAF is getting pegged up ~30 kg/h on any acceleration along with the "needed i.s. controller"

Which just points me back to a vac leak happening somewhere. And as usual, unplugging the maf creates a smoother idle and drops it down to a nice 12 kg/h. Just picked up a vac gauge today, we'll see what I'm looking at with that.

Going to keep on truckin' this afternoon.
        555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
        '95 BMW e34 525i
        '92 Range Rover Classic
        '90 Range Rover Classic
        '67 Pontiac LeMans
        '24 Model T Depot Hack
        ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Very cool, thanks for posting. I actually just got this installed last night and interested to play with it as well.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
          '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
          '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
          '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
            That's cool. I'm not much help, but I'm about to embark on the same adventure. I have an old Dell laptop with a native serial port, a bunch of plugs/cables/adapters for connecting to the car and little if any time to screw around. I'd like to do some monitoring in OBD1 on my 93 325is with 413 DME and eventually switch to OBD2 with an MS41.1 or .2 DME.

Watching with great interest. Oh, and can you point the way to the source of your software (INPA and anything else you're using) and are you using any VM stuff or just running it all on Windows XP?
            Yeah its a pretty nifty program, it just takes some getting used too...there are definitely some items within it that can really screw up the DME- but the fault code clearing, reading and live data values are worth it to read off of.

As for the version I got, I had to find and download a bunch- a lot of the versions out there are in Russian or German and getting it installed was a bitch. EDIABAS is another way to find it, as it's basically a bundle of BMW tools and has INPA contained with it. I'm running INPA.IPO v 5.0.0 (want to find 5.0.2, but have yet to find it)

Using my garage PC, x86 Windows 7 (32 bit) and using my old USB VAG Com cable which is one of the cables that works for K-Line interface on the MS41.1. Have the 'pacman' round connector connected to the diagnosis port which has the ODB2 out> Vag Cable> USB. Also hooked up a bluetooth ODB2 transmitter to it and it also works with my Android/Torque Pro.

This thread is very helpful breaking it all down (still a bit confusing though)
            555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
            '95 BMW e34 525i
            '92 Range Rover Classic
            '90 Range Rover Classic
            '67 Pontiac LeMans
            '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
              are you using any VM stuff or just running it all on Windows XP?
              No VMware, I think DSS needs to be run as a VM but I have yet to get that configured yet. If you are having trouble using a newer version of windows than XP, if you go into the properties of the installer, there is a capability option to run it as an older version of windows...sometimes that works well
              555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
              '95 BMW e34 525i
              '92 Range Rover Classic
              '90 Range Rover Classic
              '67 Pontiac LeMans
              '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Anyway, I went to the junkyard today and picked up (2) M52 MAF's....going to give them a try tonight to see if I get any different readings.

Thankfully the M52/S52 use the same MAF...otherwise I would have had to drop $300+ on a new one.
                555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                '95 BMW e34 525i
                '92 Range Rover Classic
                '90 Range Rover Classic
                '67 Pontiac LeMans
                '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

I bought a brand new authentic Bosch OBD1 800 3.5" on ebay for $170. I wasn't shopping for OBD2, but I suspect you could find them for the same or cheaper.

Comment

the biggest things you want to be watching are the fuel trims.

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Success (idk if this is turning out to be a problem thread or informative) but I ended up replacing my MAF, cleaning out the milky oil out of the CCV, properly plugging in the charcoal canister (Had the tank vent line hooked up to the charcoal canister originally, with the vac line end opened to the atmosphere and the intake port capped- ran a new line from the intake to the evap valve (which actually is the SAP valve I'm not using anymore...from what I researched, it does the same exact thing) then from that to the charcoal canister) AND switching my pre-cat 02 plugs....idles like a CHARM and isn't reporting back anything whacky.

On the topic of 02 sensor banks, I read a few threads around people switching them up. I realized I had and switched them to the proper plugs. Front Plug = Rear Cyl 456 o2 and Rear Plug = Front Cyl 123 o2. Hopefully this is right, hard to determine from the ETK and everything else out there. Because below on the second to last pic, are the o2 sensors supposed to be jumping around opposite of eachother like that?

So long and behold, no more codes and numbers that look much better. I also took 328ijunkie's advice and downloaded RomRider- man such a better output of data than INPA...since INPA is not the best thing to not know what you're doing with.

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                      '95 BMW e34 525i
                      '92 Range Rover Classic
                      '90 Range Rover Classic
                      '67 Pontiac LeMans
                      '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                        the biggest things you want to be watching are the fuel trims.
                        Once I fix my stuck-wide-open thermostat, I'll be logging this more thoroughly...just happy I'm in a comfortable state with it being happy at idle.

Thanks man!
                        555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                        '95 BMW e34 525i
                        '92 Range Rover Classic
                        '90 Range Rover Classic
                        '67 Pontiac LeMans
                        '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
                          Once I fix my stuck-wide-open thermostat, I'll be logging this more thoroughly...just happy I'm in a comfortable state with it being happy at idle.

Thanks man!
                          Fuel trims should bounce lean/rich as you see. They should be <10% in either direction however.

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Working...
                          X