z3 m52 power steering pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am buying an aluminum m52 out of the z3 for weight savings. Does anyone know what I should do about the power steering pump, does a regular e36 pump bolt up to it or should I find a z3 pump because the engine I found does not come with one.

Thank you in advance.

Normal power steering pump. But keep in mind that m52 engines can have two different kind of power steering pumps. If the oil filter housing has plastic cap then your pump has to come from m52 engine which also has plastic cap in oil filter housing. If the oil filter housing has old m50 style aluminium cap, then m50 power steering pump can be used or pump from m52 which also has aluminium oil filter cap.

Comment

GermanEngineering - I have an aluminum 2.8 from a Z3 that I will be using in my '90 325iS so I have some direct experience with your question.

In my case I had the power steering pump and bracket that came with the M52 and did not want to source a different pump. What I found is the inlet of the pump interferes with the front sump E34 oil pan. I overcame this issue by modifying the bracket and extending the inner ear which rotates the pump down and outward enough to clear the pan and fit the hose.

I ended up drilling the new hole in the extended bracket tab 17mm (center to center) higher than the original hole.

Since you effectively lower the pump it requires a longer belt to keep the tensioner mid-range of its total travel. (You can measure the effective travel by measuring the distance of its mounting bolts in the relaxed position - no belt - and then fully collapsed by compressing until it runs out of stroke)

What I found is that the belt sized for an '05 Audi 2.0T FWD places the tensioner in its sweet spot. The belt I used was a Continental 6PK1570 - the stock belt is a 6PK1538 so you are adding 32mm of length (which makes sense given the hole was lowered 17mm x2 adding 34mm of effective length for the belt - I could not find a 1572mm belt).

I attached a couple of pictures to show it mocked up after fabrication.

It could be that a different stock bracket could be used to rotate the pump but I could not find any BMW application that used the M52 with a front sump arrangement - remember that the M52 has a different oil filter housing than the M50/S50/S52. It is also possible that a different pump would have the inlet in a different location and allow the stock bracket to work - I don't have any experience with this...

On a related but different subject, the M52 oil filter housing has a provision for adding an oil temp. sender. The boss is cast into the housing (it is threaded from the factory on some M52tu applications) and it just needs drilled and tapped to the appropriate size for your sender. I used a factory oil temp sender since it will be hooked to an E30 M3 cluster. I can post up pics if there is interest.

MJ
      Attached Files

Comment

So I am a bit confused.. I googled some e36 m52 pumps and they look the same as the one you have (mjweimer). When i cross referenced the power steering pump part numbers on real oem, they come up different.

Does anyone have some input on this? I am surprised nobody has run into this problem before. i really would like to avoid cutting and welding the bracket along with running a longer belt. (mjweimer, great work I just would rather keep it simple.)

Comment

Originally posted by GermanEngineering View Post
          So I am a bit confused.. I googled some e36 m52 pumps and they look the same as the one you have (mjweimer). When i cross referenced the power steering pump part numbers on real oem, they come up different.

Does anyone have some input on this? I am surprised nobody has run into this problem before. i really would like to avoid cutting and welding the bracket along with running a longer belt. (mjweimer, great work I just would rather keep it simple.)
          Did you check my post? There is two kinds of pumps/oil filter housings in m52. Get the m50(s50/s52) oilfilter housing+pump and you will be fine. (If yours already has filter housing with metal cap, then you only need m50 pump).

Also there must be slight differences in those m52 pump inlet angles because mine didn't hit the oil pan.
          Last edited by pazi88; 01-17-2017, 11:51 PM.

Comment

pazi88 - you are correct, the oil filter housing could be swapped for the different style (M50/S50/S52). One caution with that advice - you will need to make certain the alternator and hardware you have will fit with the different housing. I'm not saying it won't work just that it is a watchout since it mounts through/to the housing.

GermanEngineering - I know there are two different pumps commonly available on the 3 series: LUK LK-20 and LUK LK-30. This may explain some of the part number differences you have been finding. It may be that you should go junkyard hunting a gather up a couple of examples to see what you have available.

You can choose from the E30 all the way through E90 and also some of the 5 series range.

MJ

Comment

All fits. (Alternator etc.) Just remember to use m50 oil filter when doing oil change. Not m52 :D

Comment

Does an m52 alternator work with the m50 oil filter housing? Only the m50 power steering pump does not bolt up to the m52 oil filter housing with the plastic cap?

Comment

Originally posted by GermanEngineering View Post
                  Does an m52 alternator work with the m50 oil filter housing? Only the m50 power steering pump does not bolt up to the m52 oil filter housing with the plastic cap?
                  Yes the alternator fits. M50 ps pump doesn't.

Comment

A similar option (easier to find engines, 3000cc avail)

is to go with a m54 ; much more common to find in good shape vs the Z3 2.8 engines
                    It can be converted to run obd1 or obd2 ala m50/m52

m50 or s52 oil filter housing + alternator + front sump oil pan is installed; works well and is all direct bolt on;

the m50/s52 share standard of metal cap for oil housing, alternator and belt setup. This e30 has no power steering as the rack is a Z4 non-m without hydro assist so the PS pump was not installed and a delete belt fitted
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                      It can be converted to run obd1 or obd2 ala m50/m52

Why would you want to do that? To make the engine worse...

Comment

Installing a aluminum short block long motor in replacement of an iron short block long motor does not sound like making the car worse to me.

Cable throttle and simple m50tu electronics are robust; Car was already running obd1 413

If you'd like to volunteer to do the labor for m54 dual vanos wiring and adaptation to e throttle etc come be my guest; I'll put all the parts on a table for you and drink beer instead.

In the m54 world you'll notice that the se46 cars run m52/s52 headers; m54 can take a m50 manifold also; s52 cams have also been fitted to a dual vanos m54 and ran. This Aly block 2800cc was chosen for competition rules; not r3vtard hard parking
                        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 01-24-2017, 06:40 AM.
                        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                          GermanEngineering - I have an aluminum 2.8 from a Z3 that I will be using in my '90 325iS so I have some direct experience with your question.

In my case I had the power steering pump and bracket that came with the M52 and did not want to source a different pump. What I found is the inlet of the pump interferes with the front sump E34 oil pan. I overcame this issue by modifying the bracket and extending the inner ear which rotates the pump down and outward enough to clear the pan and fit the hose.

I ended up drilling the new hole in the extended bracket tab 17mm (center to center) higher than the original hole.

Since you effectively lower the pump it requires a longer belt to keep the tensioner mid-range of its total travel. (You can measure the effective travel by measuring the distance of its mounting bolts in the relaxed position - no belt - and then fully collapsed by compressing until it runs out of stroke)

What I found is that the belt sized for an '05 Audi 2.0T FWD places the tensioner in its sweet spot. The belt I used was a Continental 6PK1570 - the stock belt is a 6PK1538 so you are adding 32mm of length (which makes sense given the hole was lowered 17mm x2 adding 34mm of effective length for the belt - I could not find a 1572mm belt).

I attached a couple of pictures to show it mocked up after fabrication.

It could be that a different stock bracket could be used to rotate the pump but I could not find any BMW application that used the M52 with a front sump arrangement - remember that the M52 has a different oil filter housing than the M50/S50/S52. It is also possible that a different pump would have the inlet in a different location and allow the stock bracket to work - I don't have any experience with this...

On a related but different subject, the M52 oil filter housing has a provision for adding an oil temp. sender. The boss is cast into the housing (it is threaded from the factory on some M52tu applications) and it just needs drilled and tapped to the appropriate size for your sender. I used a factory oil temp sender since it will be hooked to an E30 M3 cluster. I can post up pics if there is interest.

MJ
                          I have the same issue, exact one. My question is why do you jave to account 32mm when u only moved it 17mm?

Comment

Originally posted by yasnick.ramputty View Post

I have the same issue, exact one. My question is why do you jave to account 32mm when u only moved it 17mm?
                            Pump rotated down ~17mm but the belt needs to be lengthened by ~2x this measurement due to the fact that it wraps around the pulley on the pump. Distance from tensioner side of the pulley grows and the distance from the crank pulley grows because the pump rotates down and away from the lengthened/new mounting hole along the axis of the second (not modified) mounting hole.

Hope this helps.

MJ

Comment

Working...
                            X