ZF Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZF Refresh

So I picked up a ZF out of a 99 M3 with 90,000 miles on it for my 24V swap. There's no 5th gear lean and it runs through the gears quite well. However, before I put this in the car, are there any specific things I should do first? I.E. Bushings, Seals, Bearings.

I plan on doing the clutch once I get the car running but the current one is at 9.4mm which is almost brand new.
    Originally posted by Melon
    Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Most of the guys on on bimmerforums agree that if they have the tranny out at all its time for the detents to be replaced. Look up ZF320 detent service.
    1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
    5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

I would definitely do the shift pin/detent service. Thayer Motorsports sells a nice kit and has the tools to buy/rent. Do not do the service w/o the tools or it will end badly. If you wind up having to do the the shift pins once the trans is in the car, you'll be pulling the trans again. I'd have done it to my ZF in the e30 if I had known it was an issue during the s52 swap. Now that I'm doing a 5 speed swap on my e34T, I did the shift pins this time around.

There are really no bearings to replace w/o splitting the case. I would recommend doing the input, output, and shift selector seals as they are easily serviced w/ the trans out of the car. I would also recommend going OEM if you replace the seals. Not that terribly expensive to begin with and adds peace of mind. Like with the shift pins, if your input shaft seal starts leaking, you'll be pulling the trans...
      -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
      '95 525iT
      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
      '98 Disco 1

Comment

Working...
      X