Woot woot, another fast one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woot woot, another fast one!

I still need to add a muffler, but I think I've got this thing sorted out for the most part. And, it's quick! Still have the stock 4.10lsd in which will eventually have to go, but it's going to be fun for a little while. I'm getting some serious squat with the 1st to 2nd shift. It just rips through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... I'm trying to be easy on it since it's a freash rebuild, but it's hard. I'm pretty sure if I even try to go full throttle in 1st without pointing straight this thing it going to loop around. What a hoot!

Here's a few details:

1988 e30 m3
    rebuilt s50 - new rings, bearings, valve grind, etc...
    95 e36 m3 transmission
    e30 m3 stock driveshaft
    e30 325i single mass flywheel - shaved & lightened to clear the motor
    e30 325i pressure plate and clutch
    e30 325i starter
    e30 325ix break booster mounted directly to firewall
    e28 m5 master cylinder (had to reflare one breakline)
    e36 325i radiator - sits low in the e30 m3, crafted some upper mounts to fill in the gap - trimmed down e36 radiator hoses to make a better fit
    s52 headers to an s50 cat section
    rear muffler is going to be my old e30 m3 Borla (temporarily)
    Attached Files

Sweet!
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

you're making me jealous!!!!!

Comment

Where'd you get the S50 rings? It seems like the stealer wants $600 for a set! Did you get some aftermarket rings somewhere? I've seen them for around $180 a set for the off-brand rings...

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

oh yeah, congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
            Where'd you get the S50 rings? It seems like the stealer wants $600 for a set! Did you get some aftermarket rings somewhere? I've seen them for around $180 a set for the off-brand rings...
            They are hard to find aren't they!? I got them direct from Deves. I think they recently added them since I called them a long time ago and they didn't have them. I don't recall the part number, but they referenced 95 m3. The specs matched the s50 and they fit. Cost was around $260. I opted to spend some more for a reputable brand over the $180 ring set.

Comment

Looks good, whats the reason you went with the e30 clutch stuff?
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Sweet looking... definately! Now you have the best of both worlds.... E30 M3 engine w/a sick secret under the hood!

Comment

Originally posted by Rev Engineer View Post
                  They are hard to find aren't they!? I got them direct from Deves. I think they recently added them since I called them a long time ago and they didn't have them. I don't recall the part number, but they referenced 95 m3. The specs matched the s50 and they fit. Cost was around $260. I opted to spend some more for a reputable brand over the $180 ring set.
                  Cool, cool. It's good to know there's an alternative besides some Soviet-made rings, and some uber expensive rings made by Austro-Hungarian royalty. Or something like that.

Comment

That's what im talking about ! You gotta get rid of that 4.10 though . When i had that setup 1st and 2nd were useless and 3rd pulled like 2nd in my old modded M3
                    253rwhp

My Vids(OLD)
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/a/u/0/hS4ZAzSdUdY
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/u/2/C-0hnV2k_xU

Comment

Glad to hear it is up and running, I remember the feeling when mind was finished (enough to drive--open headers!). I thought a ZF 'box with a 3.64 was short gearing, I can't imagine a 4.10!

Careful about revving it out on fresh rings though. You want to massage the rings for the first 400-800 miles. Prolonged high-revs (read: winding out higher gears) puts a lot of heat in the rings and can cause premature blowby in the long-run. My $.02

Comment

Originally posted by rede30 View Post
                        Looks good, whats the reason you went with the e30 clutch stuff?
                        I just couldn't put that hunk of e36 flywheel back in and lightened flywheels are way too spendy. Next best option was to use a 325i flywheel.

Originally posted by aeryk7 View Post
                        That's what im talking about ! You gotta get rid of that 4.10 though . When i had that setup 1st and 2nd were useless and 3rd pulled like 2nd in my old modded M3
                        I know! Where can I find a 3.25 lsd? They’re hard to find.

Originally posted by Stu Mc View Post
                        Careful about revving it out on fresh rings though. You want to massage the rings for the first 400-800 miles. Prolonged high-revs (read: winding out higher gears) puts a lot of heat in the rings and can cause premature blowby in the long-run. My $.02
                        Thanks for the tip! I’m defiantly going to try to be much easier until I get some more miles on it. Now that I have a functional tach, it should be a little easier to keep it away from redline.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev Engineer View Post
                          I just couldn't put that hunk of e36 flywheel back in and lightened flywheels are way too spendy. Next best option was to use a 325i flywheel.

I know! Where can I find a 3.25 lsd? They’re hard to find.

Thanks for the tip! I’m defiantly going to try to be much easier until I get some more miles on it. Now that I have a functional tach, it should be a little easier to keep it away from redline.
                          I remember running with the 4cyl coding plug for the first 2000 miles or so. Indicated 7k is really about 4000. I decided to use 4k as my highest shift point until about 750 miles. After that, wound it to 7200 every once and a while. Man, it was a tease driving it around shifting at low revs. I remember the first time banging 1st through 3rd on an on ramp, what a feeling!

Comment

poser

Comment

get an lsd from an e28 535is...they had a 3.25LSD i believe. plenty of those cars at the scrap yards.
                              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X