Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 to M52 Semi-Budget Swap

Hi Guys.
    Over the past few years I've learn't a lot from E30 forums so I thought that i'd give back by sharing my experience with my upcoming M52B28 swap. I know this swap is very well documented, but it can't hurt the have one more thread on it. I've currently got an E30 that had an E36 M42 swapped into it and i'm planning on keeping my G240 box for the swap.

I've put together a list of parts that ill need.

Drivetrain
    320i Drive Shaft
    M20 Flywheel (rhd lightweight flywheel works with m52 starter)
    Clutch
    Release Bearing
    E30 320i Shifter Carrier (25111220759) and Selector Rod (25111220835)

Engine
    E34 Sump
    Dipstick
    Oil Pickup
    E28 M5/535i Engine Mounts
    Renault Clio 2001 Brake Servo
    E30 Brown Temp Sensor
    Throttle Cable
    Main Seal
    Barina Steering Shaft

Electrical
    EWS Flash
    M20 6cyl Coding Cluster Plug

Cooling System
    Electric Fan
    E36 Radiator/E30 Radiator

The actual swap isn't due for another month or two, but so far I have converted my M42 to an electric fan setup which has motivated me to make this thread.

With pretty much any engine swap to an e30, it's necessary to install an electric pusher fan to save a whole lot of space in the front section of the engine bay. I'll give a quick run down on what I did to install one.

I ran down to Supercheap (an Australian automotive store) and picked up a 16" thermo fan. This cost me a bit over $100 and came with a relay, all wiring and the appropriate mounting gear.
    I started off by ripping out the aircon condenser and factory auxiliary fan (I didn't have the aircon lines hooked up since the M42 swap). The factory auxiliary fan wires lead to a plug located under the left headlight which has two wires going up to the fuse box (low speed and high speed, fuse 3 & 18) which are triggered by two relays.
    My plan is to use the high speed wire as my power for the thermo fan. I bypassed the highspeed relay (K6) just to find that I was receiving constant power. This was not what I wanted because I do not want my new thermo fan running while the ignition is off.
    To fix this, I spliced a wire off fuse 19 (electric mirror control, switched power) and ran it down to a relay inline with the thermo fans power. My dad had an old mechanical temperature switch laying around the garage that I ran inline with my switch trigger wire. I calibrated this so that the switch closes as the thermostat opens at 88C.

This probably isn't the best or most efficient way to do it, so do your research first.

Hopefully it wont be too long until ill have the Clio brake booster swap done :D
    Last edited by luke.williams04; 06-03-2017, 05:27 AM.

Sub'd as I'm doing the same but with an m50/getrag240. Looking forward to more updates!

Comment

I've got a question for you:

I'm also doing the m20 flywheel conversion. The used flywheel I bought didn't come with bolts- do I need to order new ones (I'm assuming the bolts from the dual mass wont work).

Also, I know the flywheel has to be shaved- which side exactly? Ive seen 1 or both sides shaved down.

Comment

Working...
      X