Oil Reccomendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Reccomendation?

I'm curious what people would recommend for my climate/driving style? Daily driver M50tub25 w/lowish km's (140k), very moderate climate (winter time rarely falls below 0 degrees, summer rarely pushes high 20's). I'm hoping to find one oil brand/viscosity and stick with it.

I do a lot of city driving and not very much highway driving. Something that doesn't varnish or create sludge under these conditions would be great recommendation.

I've spent time reading around but am curious what people would recommend who know the m50 well, and my climate. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mushroom Stew; 04-27-2018, 06:02 PM.

Rotella Triple T 15w-40 is my go to :)

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
      Rotella Triple T 15w-40 is my go to :)
      That was my go to as well in the m20 and m42 and the price is always right. Will probably just run that again

Comment

Mobil 1 15w50

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Been using Mobile 1 High Mileage 10W-40, used to used Motul X-Cess but I can get the mobile 1 much cheaper

Comment

I'm sure everyone will have their opinion, but I've had good luck in the 24V motors with Castrol 10w40, Rotella 15w40, and Mobil 1 15w50. The 15w50 seems help with lifter tick when pushing the car hard. If anything, keeping on top of oil and filter changes is probably the most important thing.

Comment

i use 5w30. i get whatever is on sale and change it every 3k on the nose.i'm at 264k on the clock. i have no issues. am i wrong or weird?
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              '90 325i sedan daily driven
              '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Hey people, I went with 0w40 Castrol edge since it was on sale and I read of a bunch of people using it. I've never used a 0w before- in principle it is a little thinner on start up for colder temps right? Hoping the engine doesn't get all noisy from it.

Comment

I run Castrol GTX 20w-50. I've got a few leaks so the thicker oil keeps them at bay and the car seems to quite like it in the summer. I don't drive it all that often in the cold but if I do I get a bit of lifter tick on initial start up but it goes away after about 5 seconds.
                  91 318is M50 swapped
                  05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Ive been doing some reading and there are a few oils easily available to me in a 5w30 that get excellent reviews for reduced engine wear. Is 5w30 too thin of an oil for a m50?

Comment

I'm run either Rotella 15w-40 or LiquiMoly in my S52. I usually add MOS2 as well. Top end is quite clean but I also change seasonally.

Comment

Working...
                      X