Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Sensor to Harness wiring

Hey all,
    While trying to organize my wiring in the engine bay to clean things up a bit I tugged a little too hard and the wiring came undone for the cam sensor, looks like the PO swapped the sensor or something, not sure why it's like that, but it did use to run just fine. I feel like it should be a simple signal-ground-shield wiring scheme, but I just can't figure it out. Maybe someone can help... What goes where!?!

Harness Side

Sensor Side

obd1 or 2? That is the wire colors for obd2. That third wire a red wire? If it’s not then maybe obd1 is different colors and the connector is from obd2.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
      obd1 or 2? That is the wire colors for obd2. That third wire a red wire? If it’s not then maybe obd1 is different colors and the connector is from obd2.
      Colors from the harness side are yellow/black/shield

Colors from the sensor side are brown/black/red&green

Comment

Originally posted by NEOe30 View Post
        Colors from the harness side are yellow/black/shield

Colors from the sensor side are brown/black/red&green

Yellow black shield is knock sensors isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by E30335i View Post
          Yellow black shield is knock sensors isn’t it?

Mines out of an e34 so pretty sure OBD1, it’s a nonvanos. Should mention I’m running mega squirt 3x. This diagram here shows cam position as black yellow shield...

Comment

Cam Sensor to Harness wiring

Last edited by NEOe30; 05-05-2018, 07:28 PM. Reason: Accidental double post

Comment

Mines out of an e34 so pretty sure OBD1, it’s a nonvanos. Should mention I’m running mega squirt 3x. This diagram here shows cam position as black yellow shield...
              Well that sensor side plug is not for m50 non vanos cam sensor. That I'm sure. Even the connector is wrong type. That is female connector, but the cam sensor should have male connector. The harness side wires match the nonvanos wiring harness. Black and yellow are the vr sensor signal wires.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                Well that sensor side plug is not for m50 non vanos cam sensor. That I'm sure. Even the connector is wrong type. That is female connector, but the cam sensor should have male connector. The harness side wires match the nonvanos wiring harness. Black and yellow are the vr sensor signal wires.

So what you’re saying is that the plug is not the correct one? I guess that would make sense. I have no clue where the right one may be.. any idea if I can source such a plug online?

Comment

So what you’re saying is that the plug is not the correct one? I guess that would make sense. I have no clue where the right one may be.. any idea if I can source such a plug online?

No idea where to get exact right type. But those are minitimer connectors, which can be bought easily. You just may need to "adjust" the plastics that prevent wrong type of connector to be plugged in. (Like mixing IAC and cam sensor connectors)

There is also possibility that the ms3x uses for example hall type cam sensor from m50tu instead of the vr sensor from non-vanos m50. And if I remember correctly, it has that kind if plug.

Comment

Working...
                  X