Junkyard S52 clone build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junkyard S52 clone build

I decided to build this S52 to put in a e30 after seeing a couple of FB posts of guys running mid to high 12s with S52 swapped cars. Many claiming that s52 swapped cars are faster than M60/62 swaps. That and S52s have tons of cheap aftermarket modifications unlike the bmw V8s.
    My goal is to build an S52 using only junkyard parts and used parts from a few of my BMW dismantling friends. The budget is $2500 which seems to be the going rate for a used S52. Even if I go overbudget a little it will still be worth it to me having a freshly rebuilt engine. There is not really have a timeline for this as I don't have a e30 to put it in yet. I find I can get better prices on parts when I'm more patient and have the time to search around.
    Here is the recipe.
    - M50 or M52 engine block bored to 86.4mm
    - S52 pistons and rods. New rings of course.
    - M54B30 crankshaft. These are plentiful in junkyards, but time consuming to pull.
    - M52 cylinder head. I plan on upgrading the valve springs for some hot cams.
    - e34 oil pan, pickup tube, and dipstick. Not as easy to find in junkyards and very time consuming to pull.
    Here is what I have so far,
    S52 pistons and rods, I paid $200 for these.

Typicall wear, but no gouges or cracks in the ring lands.

I pulled this M52 head from a junkyard a year ago. I pulled the valve cover and it was immediately obvious that it had been in a machine shop recently. I paid $97 for it.

The new valve guide seals were a dead give away.

And the surface finish on the deck were excellent. Clearly it was resurfaced not that long ago. Don't mind the crud on it, it's been in my shed for a year.

I've got a lead on a M50 block for $75 next week. Hopefully the guy comes through, I really don't want to pull and disassemble a M50 in a junkyard, plus LKQ wants $200 for a bare block.
    More updates to follow as I acquire parts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looking forward to this.

I found that pulling an e34 pan wasnt too bad as long as you can drain the oil so that its not obscenely messy. I just used a bigass wiper fluid reservoir from a neighboring mercedes and threw it in the trunk of another car before pulling the pan. If you can sneak in a sawzall (pick n pulls near me dont allow cutting tools in the lot) and lop the center section out of the subframe itd make it a much faster job.

What are you thinking for cams?
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
      What are you thinking for cams?
      I was thinking of Schrick 276/270. VAC claims a vanos travel shim is required on S50 and S52 engines. Instead of using a vanos shim, I was thinking of just cutting the intake valve reliefs deeper in the pistons. The S52 pistons seem to have ample material on the piston crown to cut the valve pockets deeper.
      I was also playing around with the idea of doing a solid lifter conversion. Not the full on replacement of the cam folowers. But the half Assed version where you remove the hydraulic piston from the follower and replace it with a solid pin. This would allow the engine to safely rev to 8000rpm or more.
      Or I may just find some used S52 cams and call it a day.
      My pistons cleaned up nice.

Comment

It just goes to show you that if you are patient you can find the parts you need for cheap.
        Everyone I talked to wanted $200 for a M50/52 block, which isn't a bad price I guess. I'm just trying to get everything super cheap on my bottom end so I can build a really nice cylinder head.
        Another tech at work overheard me talking about trying to find a M50 block. He had a friend who was getting out of his BMW/e30 phase and selling everything. The next day I had a M50 bottom end for $75!

He even hooked it up with a oil pump.

Took an hour today and removed the pistons and crank.

Now I just need a front timing cover before I send the block to the machine shop to get bored and decked.

Comment

I'm excited for this. You going to use a torque plate?

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
            I'm excited for this. You going to use a torque plate?
            Of course, I've rented one from VAC before, after you return it and get your deposit back it cost $145 total.
            I need to talk to my machinist about fly cutting my valve pockets on my pistons. I want to run the VAC 286/272 cams without having to run a vanos limiting shim.
            I was thinking of trying this myself with an old valve and self adhesive sandpaper, I have a feeling I'll mess it up though.

Comment

Working...
            X