Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silicone Heater Hose for Crankcase Vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm re-fabricating my intake at the moment and I purchased all new silicone heater hose to plumb everything with before I thought twice about it. After a bit of reading it seems that plain silicone is not rated for oil. Has anyone else used unlined silicone heater/coolant hose for their ICV and crankcase vent tubing?

I see now that the "right" stuff to use is fluorosilicone lined tubing, not the plain stuff I bought from siliconeintakes.com. I cannot however find a source online for that. Maybe I'll have to settle for rubber transmission hose that is rated for oil contact.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

If you have silicone hoses for crankcase breathing, the oil will come through it and make small mess. Use just regular rubber hoses and it will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
      If you have silicone hoses for crankcase breathing, the oil will come through it and make small mess. Use just regular rubber hoses and it will be fine.

Can confirm. Silicone hoses on PCV system leak oil vapor everywhere and make a mess. Stick with good old rubber. It’s arguably better for coolant too since that will permeate slowly.
      Last edited by pandaboo911; 03-09-2019, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Just as I feared. Thanks guys, back to plain old (oil compatible) rubber I guess.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Working...
        X