M50 is overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 is overheating

I tried to drive my car back from midas today and it overheated. I'm using an m42 radiator but I think I have way to much antifreeze and not enough water. Is it possable to overheat from that alone?

Did you bleed the coolant system? Are the heater lines hooked up correctly?

Comment

the heater box is bypassed right now, I thought I would have this done before it got cold out, and I have bleed the system. It overheats right after the thermostat opens. The temp. gauge is also not working, but it appears to be hooked up properly. I don't have a fan though, is anyone running a m42 radiator w/out a fan?
      Stu

Comment

Is it a new thermostat?

Get a fan tho, you will need it.

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain."
        R.I.P. Harry Goz aka. Captain Murphy
        "My ride, My ride, she don't beg, steal, cheat, or lie,
        My ride, My ride, and our relationship is classified."

Comment

get the fan delete kit or build one yourself maby even a diffrent coolent if you do go the fan rout watch your radiator

Comment

I think you may just not have enough cooling capacity with a radiator for a 4cylinder and no heater box and no fan.
            --Will

Comment

What is a "fan delete kit"?

Thanks
              Paul Q

Comment

fan delete kit= lower temp thermostat, lower aux fan switch, and redline water wetter, and a fancy nut to cover the waterpump threads hahaha

Comment

A fan delete kit involves the removal of the belt driven fan from your car, and switching to a lower temperature thermostat (80 instead of 88°C). This is to get rid of the parasitic losses associated with moving air.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                    A fan delete kit involves the removal of the belt driven fan from your car, and switching to a lower temperature thermostat (80 instead of 88°C). This is to get rid of the parasitic losses associated with moving air.
                    I really see no point in that. the m20 fan fits and does almost too good of a job cooling with my rad (and it is an auto rad)
                    Originally posted by 325Projectz
                    don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                    :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                      I really see no point in that. the m20 fan fits and does almost too good of a job cooling with my rad (and it is an auto rad)
                      I can run an m20 fan on my m50? Thats good news, I can't believe there is room. With no fans and my m42 radiator with a 50/50 mix and no thermostat at all I can stay at the half way mark in traffic untill it gets to 70 degrees outside. with low humidity.

Comment

im running the m42 rad as well, i used to over heat but since i switched to the m20 80 degree tstat it has been staying cool...i still do plan to add water wetter and get a e-fan to help out come summer time.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                          But, it adds more parasitic losses moving less air with a less efficient type of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                            But, it adds more parasitic losses moving less air with a less efficient type of energy.
                            HAHAHA. :finger:

Yes I know, there are losses associated with turning mechanical energy into electrical energy (alt), back to mechanical energy (fan motor).

I was just stating what the E36 crowd does to get 1 whp in isolated test conditions.

IMHO it's not really worth it. But I already installed an E36 radiator so I don't think the M20 fan's going to fit.
                            :curse:

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

1whp is within the margin of error of most dynos.

The e36 radiator is identical to the e30 one. I am running one also. So was ///Mpressive and he found room for a mechanical fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X