s50 or s52 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s50 or s52 ?

ok there is this motor for sale for 3500canadian claims its an s52 obdI conversion. but i always thought that the oil filler cap is back by the firewall on the s52's? does anyone know im sure you guru's do.

1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
    1987 e30 325 eta
    1983 e28 533
    2001 x5 4.4l
    1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
    1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

looks like either a M/S52 to me. The X52s have the oil filter towards the front of the engine and have a plastic vanos cover.
    San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

Thats not saying much...

My motor looks the same and its only a s50.

Whats up with that coolant hose?
      91 m3

Comment

hmm dont ask me looks strange. i dunno buddy cant provide me vin and he had like 3 posts i think hes scamming
        1987 e30 325 eta
        1983 e28 533
        2001 x5 4.4l
        1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

valve covers can be retrofitted......

check the engine number, there are codes to denote the 3.2 engine....

something like 32 6E XX, if its a 3.0, 30 6E XX

since it's an OBD conversion, intake and related parts would look exactly like the s50,

Comment

Looks like an OBD1 S52 to me. S50's have a different oil filter housing with a metal cap.
            '91 318is
            sigpic

Comment

Oil filter housings can be changed just as easy, well not quite but...

You can see if its a OBD2 by looking at the block and head. Check for the CPS on the side of the block & check the head to see if it has untapped embossing for a second coolant sensor.
              91 m3

Comment

From this photo it is not possible to tell for sure which engine it is. The oil filler is correct for an S52 - but the intake manifold is definitely an OBD-1 manifold. Manifolds can be swapped without doing a full OBD conversion, though.

1987 325i Cabrio - SOLD
                2014 Chevy Volt
                2007 FJ Cruiser

Comment

It has OBDII coils with an OBDI coil harness, as the OBDII valve cover is not notched properly for the harness and the OBDI harness runs a little different than the 2. Also has the 3.2's 21.5# pink top fuel injectors.

Looks like an OBDI 3.2 to me. That plumbing near the vanos cover is pretty sketchy though.

I'd get an engine code off the block or a VIN number if I were you so you can be positive. Anybody can Frankenstein a motor.
                  Last edited by C ///M; 12-06-2006, 10:09 PM.

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

you guys are awesome help. i love this site.
                    1987 e30 325 eta
                    1983 e28 533
                    2001 x5 4.4l
                    1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Its hard to say without numbers??? My s52 1999 has the metal oil cover.

Comment

it's an OBDI S52, you can see the hose going across the front of the VANOS that goes to the air pump for the traction control, the S50 motor doesn't have this

Comment

Originally posted by Brew View Post
                          Looks like an OBD1 S52 to me. S50's have a different oil filter housing with a metal cap.
                          That isn't 100% indicator - My late '97 build has the metal cap to the oil filter. Salt corrosion on it was uniform with the rest of the motor, so I don't think it was a replace.

Mitch - I'm voting OBD1 based on the valve cover breather looking like 'custom' fit - if you look on the exhaust is there an oxygen sensor on each manifold before the flanged connection to the downpipe? If they are both still there and hooked to the wiring harness then OBD2.
                          If you are OBD1 then the O2 sensor should be downstream of where both downpipes merge, at least if it was done right.
                          Also, looking at the exhaust manifolds where they bolt to the head - do you see a diagonal oval shaped flange on each one that either has a 5/8" hole welded closed, or some sort of equivalent? Or do you see a ~7" long piece of 5/8" stainless tubing tying the 2 manifolds together and a piece of electrical equipment hooked to it?
                          Tubing and a air pump = OBD2
                          Holes welded closed or equiv = OBD1

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Working...
                          X