Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine question?

Hi Guys,
    I am almost ready to install my s50 into my e30 m3, but I have one question. While I was taking the cylinder head off the s50 I noticed what lookis to be a tensioner on the exhaust side of the cylinder head at the front of the motor. When we were checking the compression of the motor I noticed this tensioner/sensor making a tapping noise? could this be the infamous lifter tick associated with these motors? And should it be replaced while I have the motor out of the car or is this noise normal???
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
    2004 M3 (SilverGray)

Originally posted by e30ryan///m3 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am almost ready to install my s50 into my e30 m3, but I have one question. While I was taking the cylinder head off the s50 I noticed what lookis to be a tensioner on the exhaust side of the cylinder head at the front of the motor. When we were checking the compression of the motor I noticed this tensioner/sensor making a tapping noise? could this be the infamous lifter tick associated with these motors? And should it be replaced while I have the motor out of the car or is this noise normal???
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    I know of the noise you speak of. It is quite normal and you can get rid of it. I'd check the M3 forum at bimmerforums.com. There are guys on there that make a quest out of getting rid of that noise.

On the other hand, I top off with 15w-50 Mobil 1 and call it a day. The noise is a bit quieter. This has worked on the current S52 I have and the previous S52 in the e36 m3 I had.
    E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
    X