Now lets look at a connecting rod. We have a BEAM with bearings on both ends. if we apply an in-plane load to it, nothing moves. if we put a lateral load on it, there is no load change on the beam, and it just moves sidways pivoting on the bearings. I'd hate to be forced to draw you a picture. (I got good at those while getting my physics degree.)
You're assuming too much. You're assuming that the conrod bearing and crankshaft bearing are properly aligned and lubricated. First you ignore failure mode engineering and now you suck at talking about it. Ok, when something fails, what happens? It doesn't work right. Let's go under the assumption that... um... ok how about a big rock hits the oil pan and the oil goes out and now your bearing is starved for oil and seizes. No lubrication in the bearing at all. Now your translative force is applied to the rod at the same time as the engine pings and BOOM. The rod compresses hard under high boost knock and fails, now the translative force is applied and it bends. Now what happens?
- failure modes. I covered this already, but bending is WAY better than breaking. A bent rod is still attached to the piston and crank, and might not even touch the cylinder walls. A broken rod does bad things.
If it had more resistance to bending, which I believe would mean that it bends less (not doesn't bend at all which is what you seem to think I'm saying) it wouldn't break it would bend less
- Notice that I give an engineering reason behind something, like the difference between H beam and I beam rods, and you come back with some OBSERVATION like someone has used them in an engine that did X. Thats not a good argument. I can move the level of discussion between rod designs up to the math behind it, can you? would your "my buddies EVO used those rods and didn't break" hold up well in those cases? If its an engineering discussion, keep it that way.
-
I'm amused that you think you're a surgeon and that engineers are gods. but if thats the case, why are you arguing with me? You very ovbiously don't understand this stuff. reply with a diagram of the forces on a connecting rod and maybe I'll explain it to you some more.
Notice that I said relative terms? God I have to explain everything to you. Ok, what does god do? He makes stuff. What do engineers do? They make stuff.. Still with me? Ok. What do surgeons do? They fix people when they break (that is probably using the least elegant terms possible to describe the job, but whatever). What do mechanics do? They fix cars when they break.
So therefore surgeons pointing out god's mistakes are akin to in this case a mechanic pointing out an engineer's mistakes, using something I learned in college, the literary device known as metaphor.And yes, I was saying that you only seem to think that you're an engineer. Prove it and design a better rod with a superior failure mode.


Leave a comment: