Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP? Anyone know the pin reference E30>M50???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP? Anyone know the pin reference E30>M50???

Ok, there's probably thousand threads on this, and all info is different.
    I have a '86 Chasis (ABS,manual) and '93 325is motor/trans/harness.
    The e30 side has 20 pins, e36 - 25.. From what ive found, i was still left with about 14wires loose on the e36 end, and 4 on the e30..
    Anyone know???

What i got is this:
    E30 Side (20 pin)
    1.Blue
    2.Blue w/violet
    3.X
    4.Brwn w/wht
    5.Brwn w/grn
    6.Green w/yellow
    7.Green
    8.X
    9.X
    10.Blue w/white (or white with blue cant tell, its the bigger one of the two)
    11. White w/blue (smaller one)
    12.X
    13.Violet w/grn
    14.X
    15.X
    16.White w/black
    17.X
    18.Black w/yellow

E36 side: (25 pin)
    1.X
    2.X
    3.X
    4.Black w/blue
    5.Black w/gray
    6.Violet w/gray
    7.Violet w/black
    8. Gray
    9.X
    10. Blue w/yellow
    11.Brown w/yellow
    12.Brown w/violet
    13.Green w/violet
    14.Black w/white
    15.Black w/green
    16.White w/yellow
    17.White w/violet
    18.Black w/yellow
    19.White w/green
    20.Black
    21.Green
    22.Green w/white
    23.Brown w/green
    24.White w/black
    25.Blue

This is what I have, hope it helps.

The tables dissapear when posting them, so, to see the original document go here:

The early type connector:

No. Terminal Designation
    1 31 Ground
    2 - -
    3 - -
    4 FT Temperature gauge
    5 L Engin M10B18 Interfrator output for CO adjustment
    Engin M30B34 Oxygen Sensor signal
    6 A Diagnosis lead for SRS
    7 SI Service indicator
    8 P+ Position sender
    9 S Shielding
    10 P- Position sender
    11 50 Starting pulse for starter
    12 61 Alternator charge indicator
    13 1 Ignition signal
    14 30 battery +
    15 15 Power supply for ignition

__________________________________________________ ____________

From the BMW NA 1989 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for the 325i/iS:

Pin Wire Size Wire Color Circuit and Component Connected
    1 1 BK Ignition Coil, Motronic Control Unit
    6 0.5 WT/BK SRS Connector (Not Used)
    7 0.5 WT/GN Service Interval Indicator, Service Interval Processor(Reset).
    11 2.5 BK/YL Starter, Start Signal(50)
    12 0.75 BU Charge, Alternator(D+)
    14 2.5 RD Battery
    15 0.5 WT/YL Motronic Control Unit(RXD)
    16 1.5 GN/WT Oxygen Sensor
    18 0.5 GN/BU Motronic Control Unit(Programming Voltage)
    19 1.5BR BR Ground Distribution(G103)
    20 0.5 WT/VI Motronic Control Unit(TXD)

Comment

www.addissimo.com go to motor part then wiring. That chart got my car running.
      -Chris

Comment

Yeah i checked out the addissimo chart.. Turns out i dont have the same colors/pins as listed there.. Above (at top) is what colors i have.
        You cut off the plug from the fuse box on the e36, and the end from the harness that runs along the firewall TO the fuse box on the e30, correct? still the same wiring though so if im wrong still no solution...

Comment

Originally posted by sky_captnE30E36 View Post
          You cut off the plug from the fuse box on the e36, and the end from the harness that runs along the firewall TO the fuse box on the e30, correct?
          Yes.

You have a different style engine harness connector. This connector is called C101. For early cars, the connector is square, not round, and the pinouts are different as ivo316 posted.

Go to the following link http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/
          and download the 1986 electrical troubleshooting manual. You will be able to find the correct pins by making a chart and writing down the function, wire color, and C101 / 104 pin number.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
            Yes.

You have a different style engine harness connector. This connector is called C101. For early cars, the connector is square, not round, and the pinouts are different as ivo316 posted.

and download the 1986 electrical troubleshooting manual. You will be able to find the correct pins by making a chart and writing down the function, wire color, and C101 / 104 pin number.
            Hmm I dont have the square plug.. Mine's round..
            The E30 is 12/85 and the E36 11/92.. Do those diagrams cover the E36? Its technically a '93...

Comment

Yes.

It seems that those diagrams cover the E30's.. Any chance you would have a link to the E36's? Appreciate it greatly

Comment

Here's ETMs for the E36 models:

Just trace the function of each wire in your E30 C101 using the ETM. I believe you will have to pull a few connections off C104, but I have no direct experience with early cars.

Comment

I'm having a similar issue, with my car harness not having the connectors for the speedo and tach signals per the addissimo diagram. I'm wondering if my car uses the tach signal off of the ignition wire and the speedo signal is mechanical. If so, then I may have to investigate the possibility of having to get a new cluster, is anybody familiar with this?
                  1987 BMW 325is | Frankenmotor S50 | Supersprint Replica Headers | K&N Intake | Gutted Stock Midpipe | Zimmermann Rotors | Stainless Brake Lines | Porterfield Racing Pads

Comment

Addissimo's diagram applies to the later-style cars. You don't need to swap out the cluster. I'd search for "no tach" and "road speed signal." Jason89i and EtaSport have posted some valuable info on how to get the early body cars to mate up with an M/S5x engine. Again, I don't have any direct experience with this, so it's a little hard for me to draw from any experiences I've had with early car wiring. Good luck, and I hope you can fire the engine up tonight! :)

Comment

I think the solution is that there is a C103 connection in the glovebox that solves this problem. God I hope that's the solution.
                      1987 BMW 325is | Frankenmotor S50 | Supersprint Replica Headers | K&N Intake | Gutted Stock Midpipe | Zimmermann Rotors | Stainless Brake Lines | Porterfield Racing Pads

Comment

That's it, every early E30 had an electrical speed signal located in the C103.
                        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Yeah, I just verified it.

Comment

Addissimo's diagram applies to the later-style cars. You don't need to swap out the cluster. I'd search for "no tach" and "road speed signal." Jason89i and EtaSport have posted some valuable info on how to get the early body cars to mate up with an M/S5x engine. Again, I don't have any direct experience with this, so it's a little hard for me to draw from any experiences I've had with early car wiring. Good luck, and I hope you can fire the engine up tonight! :)
                            I have direct experience... it's easy. Get ETMs and a bentley and you can figure it out.

The square connector and the C103 3-pin will get you started, but there are other connections you need, too. AC comes to mind, but there might be others.

Comment

Yeah, I used the ETM for my own wiring adapter, and it'd be the same process for an early car.

I figured, if he wanted to go the easy way out, he could refer to the pinouts that past swappers have used and get 95% of the way there.

Comment

Working...
                              X