N/V M50 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N/V M50 Rebuild

Ive got a 100k Non Vanos M50 out of a Manual 92 325i sitting on the engine stand in my garage. While I have it on the stand im going to be doing the cam swap(Shcrick252 intake, swap intake to exhaust side...) so ill have m3 profiles.
    Im also getting the head refreshed new valve guides and seals, the head resurfaced and possible gasket matched and ported/polished(Is there really much more flow to be found in an N/V M50 head?)
    My question is are there any upgrades out there to lighten up the Lifters?
    Aftermarket, s50/s52 lifters. Im tring to make this top end really work.
    Ive searched for hours on BFC to no avail(big suprise)
    Is there anything else I should do while its off?
    Along with all the usual maintenence stuff, Im getting the replica Supersprint headers, underdrive pulleys and turner chip also.
    Thanks in advance

Hunter
    We're out there in here.

Swap to a VANOS head with M3 cams. Lighter valvetrain, better cams, and VANOS.

But thats probably out of the question, so your plan sounds good.

Comment

where'd you get your schrick from?
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
        where'd you get your schrick from?
        Originally posted by 325Projectz
        don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
        :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
          Swap to a VANOS head with M3 cams. Lighter valvetrain, better cams, and VANOS.

But thats probably out of the question, so your plan sounds good.
          I've thought about it, even priced it out(do-able) but for some reason the Non Vanos motor is more appealing to me?

I got my cam from VAC along with there stainless valve spring retatiners and underdrive pulleys.

Hunter
          We're out there in here.

Comment

Non-Vanos is a little more rev happy than the vanos engines for some reason. I figured that you got it from VAC. Did you get just the intake cam or did you get both of them?
            My 2.9L Build!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Non-Vanos is a little more rev happy than the vanos engines for some reason. I figured that you got it from VAC. Did you get just the intake cam or did you get both of them?
              Hotter cams.

The problem is that the valvetrain tends to let go in the vanos motors when they get overrevved, but the bottom ends asplode on the NV ones. Still gotta keep it to 7k or so.

Comment

quick question... whats VAC?

can someone explain the mods you guys are talking about? Im about to delve into the world of 24v e30's, im getting a car with a 1992 non vanos motor.

What cams are you swapping/buying? Stock exhaust cam to intake side and buying a new schrick exhaust cam to replace it? Im kinda lost. What seem to be the most cost efficient mods on these motors without going FI?

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

Comment

Originally posted by mudflaps View Post
                  quick question... whats VAC?

can someone explain the mods you guys are talking about? Im about to delve into the world of 24v e30's, im getting a car with a 1992 non vanos motor.

What cams are you swapping/buying? Stock exhaust cam to intake side and buying a new schrick exhaust cam to replace it? Im kinda lost. What seem to be the most cost efficient mods on these motors without going FI?

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.
                  I....feel....like..I have been here before?!?!

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                  The M50 2.5-liter VANOS cams are 228-degree duration, while S52 3.2-liter M3 cams are 252 intake and 240 exhaust. They fit fine and give a nice boost to the top end on a 2.5-liter M50. You can use the S52 cams with the M50 lifters and springs. The S52 uses smaller lifters (33mm vs. 35mm diameter) and conical valve springs with teeny retainer washers. Net saving with this stuff is 20 grams per valve. Get the S52 cam trays, lifters and springs if you can but the swap is OK with cams only as mentioned earlier. If you have a 1992 M50, you can switch the intake cam to the exhaust. Timing is 240 on both, but the intake has 9.7 lift vs. 9.0. Buy a 252 Schrick intake cam and you have the same cams as an M3 and only have to buy one camshaft.
                  Originally posted by 325Projectz
                  don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                  :nice:

Comment

What do you think im made of money?
                    I just got the intake cam. I hope this cam swap will be worth while im still worried about tuning though. Id hate to spend all this money on the cam and have it not really "work" for me.

Mudflaps youve got it about right you switch the exhaust cam and buy a Schrick 252 intake cam. Supposivley it can get you to around 200whp with a proper intake/exhaust and tuning. Ill be happy with 160whp but more would be nice. There is no chip specifically made for the cam swap so Im just going to run turners N/V M50 chip.

Now does anyone know if theres more flow to be found in an N/V M50 head. Ill pulling mine soon and sending it to the machine shop here shortly.

Hunter
                    We're out there in here.

Comment

Budnunta: How much did they charge you for the cam? I just e-mailed them on saturday about it and am waiting on a reply. I also am getting my head back from the machine shop on Wednesday, had them do a multi-angle valve job and lapping using ALL NEW valves (ouch) and they are resurfacing the head/checking for flatness, cc'ing the combustion chambers, checking for cracks/pressure testing....that's about it though on the head. I'm hoping this will open it up/allow it to breathe easier.
                      My 2.9L Build!

Comment

The cam cost $550. I hope itll be well worth it.
                        Theres a awesome deal on UUCs website on underdrive pulleys if any M50 guys are interested, $125 to my door with new belts.
                        How much did all your machine shop work cost. I figured mine is going to be around $400 all said and done including guides and seals, im reusing my valves(Seemed about right). Then I got valvespring retainers $250.
                        Heads Expensive

Hunter
                        We're out there in here.

Comment

I'm hoping my machine work will be less than 450. I will find out on Wednesday. The intake valves are cheap, like 10 bucks a piece, but the exhaust valves are pricey. They are like 24 bucks a piece or something. All in all, the new valves cost like close to 450 bucks. I will let you know how much the shop work will be once they give me a call. I'm glad that I can get the cam from VAC for a lot cheaper than what a local distributor told me (750). What retainers did you get? Just the hardened ones?
                          My 2.9L Build!

Comment

do you have a link to the pulleys ?

Comment

These are the retiners I got.
                              A freind of mine who builds drag race motors said to never skimp out on retainers, I think the Titamium ones were a little over kill but these are a nice upgrade.
                              I got that price on the cam from Turner but since they didnt have one I called VAC who price matched and got it to me for $550(Great Guys over there)

**Pulley Link**
                              Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Hunter
                              We're out there in here.

Comment

Working...
                              X