a/c compressor to work on 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a/c compressor to work on 24v

Now i'm down to the a/c compressor to find the hot lead. I've got an 88' 325 all's done but I'd like to know how to power up compressor. I've got the hot lead at c103 with a/c button on, do I tap into the black/white lead running from ecu to c101 or what?? I'm really not clear on how the 24v swappers get this done. I need the help! thanks, joe

The AC wiring does not go through the engine harness at all, its in the body harness.
    sigpic

Comment

a/c wiring

So you said what it doesn't do but do you know how it's done or is this the only answer for help you can give? I'm looking to gaather infor not to tell me something that doesn't help. Anyone else that can help??

Comment

Ah, I thought I was being helpful. Guess not. I will go outside and finish hooking up my A/C on my s50. Hah.
        sigpic

Comment

Don't forget to hook up the hot A/C lead (a black 2 wire connector in/behind the center dash that is wrapped in gray factory tape). Look for it and use the blk/red wire and pin it out to 64 on the DME to get the car to idle up when you energize the A/C. Otherwise, it will idle-cycle (up and down) because the DME will not know to raise the idle for a load.

Did this today and now the idle is steady A/C or not. Before today, when coming to a stop with the A/C on, the car would idle cycle from 500-900rpm constantly. Now the idle is cream smooth @ 8-900 rpm with A/C. No fluctuation.

Hope this helps.

Ed
          1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
          1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
          1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
          2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
          2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
          2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Originally posted by ed94r View Post
            Don't forget to hook up the hot A/C lead (a black 2 wire connector in/behind the center dash that is wrapped in gray factory tape). Look for it and use the blk/red wire and pin it out to 64 on the DME to get the car to idle up when you energize the A/C. Otherwise, it will idle-cycle (up and down) because the DME will not know to raise the idle for a load.
            Ed,

Can I get to this wire from the glove box or by removing the center console or from the driver side lower panel? Does this connector come from the A/C switch?

Your timing is perfect. 95 degrees this week had me braking and throttling at the same time to keep the revs up when coming to a stop.

Thanks for the tip! :up:

Doug

Comment

a/c to work on 24v

Ed, just so i'm clear,when you say pin the red/black wire to #64/dme ,do you mean pig tail off it(tap in?) direct or jumper lead? or none of the above? So this will help/correct idling great! The other (or main problem) is where do I run the power lead from (c103) to power up compressor?Or are these the same in one? I'm just not getting this part of the 24v swap,sorry. And ya, I think the timing is great for all the 24v er's to get that a/c working. thank, joe

Comment

Lemme first say that the above worked on my car and it's a late '88 325is with the purple 413.

You can reach the pigtail by removing the dash side panel in the glovebox. Also pulled the glovebox pins out and dropped it, not removed it. In my application, I was able to use the A/C-On pin 64 (not the A/C high pressure pin 65) and splice it to the blk/red wire from the underdash connector (pigtail).

I don't know why/where this pigtail comes from or use to connect to. I was told the pigtail contained an A/C hot signal (blk/red) and it did..on every car. Your DME's on the other hand, may be different. Check you manuals before surgery.

Ed
                1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
                2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

a/c compessor to work

Ed; So I make the connections and found #64 ,purple/gray and adding power/signal back to ecu with no help in idling . My c103 plug has both sides of the connector that was running into old ecu.This was cut off and left wild. I'm going to run power off aux fan for compressor until I can learn more about what's missing in my wiring. The second thing to unwind is the idle/ecu ,I do get the surgy idle at times and want this resolved! Any more ideas are great and It's off to pickn pull to look at a late e30 that I can take apart and not have to put back together. joe

Comment

It took a bit for the DME to adjust to it's new input. 2 days later and it idles well enough that I don't have to heal/toe downshift coming to a stop or LFB in neutral to keep the R's up.

Give it a few days to adapt. Others may be able to chime in on the A/C hot for your compressor. That, I don't know.

Ed
                    1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
                    2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Thanks for the good info ed94r.

Hey Bmjpv, the connector that the BK/RD comes from is C136 and mine connected to a pigtail off of the original e30 harness up close to the DME. If you will, continue posting your progress.

Ed next time you are down this way stop in for a cold one.

John

Comment

a/c to work

Morning john, My problem is ,yes I have the pig tail off a/c controller with both mail and female plugs, and that's where I'm stopped/stumped! I don't know where the pig tail goes?? I thought it went to the orginal e30 m20 ecu because I had cut the far side of the pig tail and now only have dangling correctly colored wires. These wires go where ? As a reminder I've got an 88' 325 is. At this point I'm lost and need someone's car to pattern off of. Halp! joe

Comment

Joe,

I'm still waiting on hoses to get my AC hoked up so I can't tell weather I'm getting power to the comp or not. However, as E30 Groupie said, the power to the comp comes from the body harness and it should power up with connecting the original E30 wire to the AC clutch, providing there is proper pressure in the sealed system. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                          The wires come from compressor control (on the dash) through the high pressure and low pressure cut out switches and terminate at the E30 ecu BK/RD connects to BK/GY at C136 and runs to ecu (AC on input) this can be seen on the ETM page 93/148. The other wire is BK/VI and at C136 connects to VI/GY (Ac input) to the ecu, page 92 of the ETM. As ed94r said his worked when the BK/RD was connected to pin 64 of the E36 DME. Again if I am wrong someone correct me.

John

Comment

Originally posted by croatan View Post
                            Thanks for the good info ed94r.

Hey Bmjpv, the connector that the BK/RD comes from is C136 and mine connected to a pigtail off of the original e30 harness up close to the DME. If you will, continue posting your progress.

Ed next time you are down this way stop in for a cold one.

John
                            Will do John.

How were the waves today?...May head out your way tomorrow morning to catch the last of the swell...

Ed
                            1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
                            2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Sent you a pm Ed.

Joe, how are things working out?

Comment

Working...