Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan options

Hey,

After almost over heating after leaving my car idling in a hot parking lot the other day ive decided to get an actual good fan.

what have you guys been using with success and good fitment...

i have a 318is rad with AC still installed. What will fit and be as powerful as possible
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

i used the stock fan clutch with the m20 fan, turned 180 so it wont hit the engine block, but i have sinced sourced a 324td fan, which i have yet to instal, its as thin as a feather and looks cool too

for the a/c fan, use the stock a/c fan and please hook up the lower and higher fan speed, both are controlled by a temp switch on the side of the rad

over here its hot like hell, so i keep the low speed on at all times, and the higher speed kicks in after temp of rad goes above 99 C

i think you need to mod how the rad sensor closes the switch as the e30 fan uses gnd to close, but the newer models uses +ve to close or something like that , i read it somewhere

can someone clarify this connection ?

Comment

Cant you just throw a rad temp switch that activates at a lower temp? theres a part number in a past thread.
      -Chris

Comment

No clutch fan for me and the crappy ass ac fan is gone aswell...

i was thinking more on the lines of an aftermarket electric fan... spal, etc.. Anyone have any expirence with those??
        e30sport.net

Comment

I have two 10" haden fans with an e36 radiator. I think I am actually running it too cold... one 10" would probably be fine.
          Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Originally posted by equate975 View Post
            I have two 10" haden fans with an e36 radiator. I think I am actually running it too cold... one 10" would probably be fine.
            Thermostat controls how hot the motor runs, not the radiator.

As long as your thermostat is working properly, your coolant temps should never drop below the thermostat's temp.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
              Thermostat controls how hot the motor runs, not the radiator.

As long as your thermostat is working properly, your coolant temps should never drop below the thermostat's temp.
              Yeah I know, but it keeps it at the lowest temp all the time, it never heats up a single bit.
              Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

That means everything is working well. :)

Comment

I used a 16" low-profile SPAL fan. Just barely fit, but it works great.
                  E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Hm, I think fan fitment will be different with an M42 radiator. I am fairly certain 14" is the largest you can go with an aftermarket fan and an M42 radiator.

Additionally, since the radiator is not centered with the waterpump, a clutch fan will not work because it will hit the driver's side edge of the radiator. I tried squeezing an M20 fan. No go.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Hey Chris, are you looking for a Push or Puller?

I don't run an engine fan either, but I replaced the factory aux fan with a 16" Spal Pusher. It just fits. It's wired just like factory. With the lower temp fan switch, low speed kicks in at 80c, high speed at 88c.

What thermostat are you running? What fan switch?

Although a puller fan is more efficient, with the M42 radiator, you're limited on size. I'm not a fan of engine bay clutter, so I didn't bother with a puller.

If you currently aren't running any fans at all, just install a 16" pusher with the factory 2-speed wiring and run a highspeed override switch to the cabin. (you're on your own for mounting the fan, isn't too bad).

With a lower temp t-stat and fan switch, you should be alright.

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by C ///M View Post
                        Hey Chris, are you looking for a Push or Puller?

I don't run an engine fan either, but I replaced the factory aux fan with a 16" Spal Pusher. It just fits. It's wired just like factory. With the lower temp fan switch, low speed kicks in at 80c, high speed at 88c.

What thermostat are you running? What fan switch?

Although a puller fan is more efficient, with the M42 radiator, you're limited on size. I'm not a fan of engine bay clutter, so I didn't bother with a puller.

If you currently aren't running any fans at all, just install a 16" pusher with the factory 2-speed wiring and run a highspeed override switch to the cabin. (you're on your own for mounting the fan, isn't too bad).

With a lower temp t-stat and fan switch, you should be alright.

Hey Chris... good to see your still around. Did you mount the spal directly to the condensor for the AC? I think it would have to be a pusher since there is so little room between the engine and the rad.

This looks like the best model to me... http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automate.../2048-2049.pdf this the same one you have?

also I have the retarded two seperate sensors for low and high speed from the early eta's. Is it possible to convert to the later e30's single low/high switch? do you have a part number of the plug and switch if you can adapt the wiring? I do have the low temp thermostat and i run water wetter which is why I think it hasnt been a problem until now with no fans at all...
                        e30sport.net

Comment

I used a 14" permacool fan in front of the ac conden. Its the high performance one Jegs sells. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...44391_-1_10117
                          Rated at like 2950 cfm, which is cut down to like 2200 using it as a pusher (its reversible). Once I had it in, temp just sits at half when parked, and just below half above 25 mph.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                            Hey Chris... good to see your still around. Did you mount the spal directly to the condensor for the AC? I think it would have to be a pusher since there is so little room between the engine and the rad.

This looks like the best model to me... http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automate.../2048-2049.pdf this the same one you have?

also I have the retarded two seperate sensors for low and high speed from the early eta's. Is it possible to convert to the later e30's single low/high switch? do you have a part number of the plug and switch if you can adapt the wiring? I do have the low temp thermostat and i run water wetter which is why I think it hasnt been a problem until now with no fans at all...
                            Yea, that's the Pusher I have, the 42S.
                            Part Number: 30102048
                            Previous Part Number(s): 30100223 (VA18-AP13-42S)
                            Description: VA18 - AP71/LL - 42S
                            Retail Price: $157.95

If you go on there site, its the 16" Curved Blade High Performance Pusher. Their "extreme performance" fans do not have a sealed or waterproof motor, so definitely stick with the High Performance. When I talked to a guy at Spal, he said the paddle blade pushes about the same air as the curved blade, but may be a bit quieter, but is also definitely thicker. And thicker wouldn't fit in the e30.

For mounting, I used one of their mounting straps (the kit has 4) on the bottom, and put together a custom mounting with a bit of the factory shrouding. You're kinda on your own with mounting. It's not a huge deal.

I don't know anything about the two separate fan speed sensors. What production date is your eta?

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

my car is 10/85... a really early '86 es

Im trying to get the single thermo switch from someone in the forsale section... ill figure something out there i was just curiousif the 16" fit on the condensor. I guess so so ill be ordering it soon.
                              e30sport.net

Comment

Working...
                              X