134 conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

134 conversion?

I bought a new (to me) dash today. I'm going to run the A/C in my swap car when it's done. While the dash is out, I'm going to replace the expansion valve. What else should I change? What is usually changed when you pay a shop to do a r134 conversion? Aside from a new compressor, dont they change all the o-rings? Do I need to buy a different expansion valve or will the standard E30 valve work?

Thanks,

kr

Originally posted by kroberts View Post
    I bought a new (to me) dash today. I'm going to run the A/C in my swap car when it's done. While the dash is out, I'm going to replace the expansion valve. What else should I change? What is usually changed when you pay a shop to do a r134 conversion? Aside from a new compressor, dont they change all the o-rings? Do I need to buy a different expansion valve or will the standard E30 valve work?

Thanks,

kr
    I converted an 1989 325is with an S52 to R134a and it worked fine.

I would check www.realoem.com/bmw for your car and see if it's rated for 134a. I know all the cars from this era came with R12, but a lot of the parts are 134a compatible per BMW.

See the attached image within the red circle--notice how it says R12/R134 or just R12.
    Attached Files
    E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Bought an expansion valve and an o-ring kit today from a local auto A/C supply shop. Valve was $26, and rated for r134. That valve is really a tight fit. I cant see how you'd get it out with the dash installed. I'm going to have to come up with some type of foam to seal the cover. the old stuff was pretty dry-rotted.

Comment

I know lathrop did this, don't you have to change the dryer and condensor too? I am unsure why though.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

-When you open an A/C system, it can absorb water, which will collect in the rec/dryer. You should replace it, but not the condenser.
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

+1, all your really need to replace when you open the a/c system is the drier. might want to replace the pressure valve/sensor while your at it.
            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

M50 e30 with a.c
              yummm

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                +1, all your really need to replace when you open the a/c system is the drier. might want to replace the pressure valve/sensor while your at it.
                Agreed. Dryer must be replaced if the dryer is not closed off and remains exposed to the open atmosphere.
                E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Only thing you need to do is change the oil in the compressor to 134a compatible. Condensor, etc will work just fine. Change the dryer if you need to. Have a slight overcharge put in the system to raise the head pressure, this will help the system pull more heat from the air...

Comment

Working...
                  X